81 | the meeting

Lucas and Cassandra Klein are already settled at the table in the center of the room

Lucas and Cassandra Klein are already settled at the table in the center of the room. The moment they see us, they stand up.

A big, warm smile spreads across Cassandra's face when she walks toward me. "Nevaeh," she greets me, sounding happy and excited. "It's so nice to finally meet you. I've been wanting to see you."

That's what she said, but here I am, frozen to the spot. To say that I'm starstruck by her beauty is an understatement.

I've never stood this close to a superstar, and I now understand what people say about celebrities. Some of them indeed look even more dazzling in real life, and Cassandra Klein is one of them. Her age does nothing, absolutely nothing, to her beauty. She still looks as beautiful as she did in her youth.

I realize that I have to compose myself to not look dumb, so I quickly plaster a smile and say, "It's my pleasure to meet you too, Mrs. Klein. Thank you for inviting me to have lunch here with you."

"Oh, please. Just call me Cassie." She wraps her arms around me and engulfs me in a hug. I almost sway because I didn't expect it.

Come on, Nevaeh. Pull yourself together.

Cassie steps away to hug her son, and that's when I greet Aiden's father, who also tells me to call him Luke instead of 'Sir' or 'Mr. Klein'.

Just as I've heard, Luke Klein has a powerful aura that can intimidate people. Right now, he looks humble, but I can imagine him conquering a negotiation with just one sentence. He's someone you don't want to make an enemy in the business world. I can see that Aiden has that trait from him.

Cassie cups Aiden's face and kisses both of his cheeks. "Look at you. I missed you so much." Her tone gives the impression that Aiden is still a baby, and that's an amusing sight.

Aiden also receives a hug from his father, who pats him on the back. They don't exchange words, but it seems that they don't need to, as though they've already understood how the other feels.

Cassie shifts her attention to me again, holding my shoulder as she leads me to the table, where a waiter is already serving the appetizer. "Come sit here with us, Nevaeh. Are you hungry? I've already ordered your favorite food."

That information surprises me. When I take a seat beside Aiden, I can't help but wonder how they would know what I like to eat. Maybe Aiden has informed his mother, or maybe they got that information from Ian, who's been serving us dinner for months.

I'm relieved that Aiden's parents are warm and down to earth, nothing like I'd been worrying about. But I never expected this level of hospitality. It makes me flattered.

"So how have you two been?" Cassie starts the conversation in a motherly tone. Her gaze darts to Aiden. "I heard that you rarely worked overtime in the office nowadays. Once in a while is okay, but I knew that I had to worry when working past midnight became a habit for you. I'm glad that you think more about your health now."