279: Naruto (2)

Chapter 279: Naruto (2)

[Present]

Obito Uchiha watched the battle between Sasuke and Itachi come to an end.

For a long time, he stayed silent, standing on a tree branch beside Naruto. Something entirely else was on his mind.

Since Naruto agreed to work with him, Obito has been taking good care of him. He had initially brought the boy to make him a pawn, but interestingly– and surprisingly– he was starting to take a liking to him. It was almost uncanny how similar their backstories were, that on top of Naruto's new personality made him more likeable to Obito.

He felt like looking after a younger brother sometimes. The keyword was 'sometimes'. He hadn't lost sight of his goal. Naruto may be willing to work with him for now, but at one point he may betray him, in that case Obito will have to be ruthless.

But for now, their goals were aligned. The goal of world peace. A state of the world where nobody would be sad and everyone would be happy.

At the same time, the goal of destroying Konoha was also prominent in both their hearts. Especially the death of Neji Hyuga. They both had personal grudges against that man. Obito because Neji forced him to compromise some valuable teammates and materials in order to finish his plan, and Naruto because Neji did something very spiteful to him.

What Neji did to Naruto made Obito mad as well, to some degree, given he could easily imagine himself in Naruto's shoes because of their similar background. Just imagining Rin with Kakashi (Neji's lookalike) made Obito's blood boil, so he could relate with Naruto quite a bit.

"Shouldn't we pick him up?" suddenly Naruto asked, and Obito realised both of them had been staring at the scene where Sasuke had lost consciousness after earning a victory against his own older brother.

"Huh- ah, yes. Ahaha, forgive my wandering mind." Tobi chuckled sheepishly, though it didn't fool Naruto at the least, before he moved towards Sasuke alone with Kamui.

Naruto stayed back since the whole area in front of him was surrounded by the flames of Amaterasu and only Obito was 'immune' to the flame between the two of them.

— -

'So Sasuke won...' Naruto's cold eyes looked at the blazing battlefield. 'If it was like in the past, if the Neji incident didn't happen, would Sasuke have come back to the village?'

That was a fleeting thought. He quickly shook his head and discarded all these useless thoughts.

This battle he just witnessed was quite fancy, Naruto wouldn't lie. At one point, Orochimaru had tried to take over Sasuke's body through the Curse Mark, which Naruto had only found amusing– contrary to his past feelings on this matter. But Itachi Uchiha had managed to defeat Orochimaru, and Naruto could swear it felt like Itachi had deliberately dragged the battle only to fish Orochimaru out and finish him once and for all.

It was a very close fight, with Sasuke having a better version of Amaterasu, but Itachi still could have won if he wanted to. Naruto smelled an interesting story behind it.

He followed the scene where Obito appeared out of thin air beside both Itachi and Sasuke, and picked both bodies up, before vanishing in thin air again. Although the Sharingans Naruto was planted with were no Byakugan, it still gave him eyesight that was far beyond normal human– so he could follow the action quite clearly.

Obito appeared beside Naruto again, the bodies nowhere to be seen all of a sudden. Naruto guessed he had put the bodies away already.

"Let's go. No point in wasting time here." said Obito in the voice of his Tobi persona, making Naruto nod. He accepted Tobi's hand and then vanished in thin air with the intention of reappearing where Kisame and Suigetsu were waiting.