Chapter 45: A change of clothes

Picture to the side: Ash by the lake :)

_________________________________

"Are we there yet?" Matt asked for the hundredth time and I could feel my hands itching to strangle him. 

Kate, Regina, me and Matt were all sitting in the back of the jeep trying hard not to crush each other when the car swirled from side to side. We had been driving along a narrow forest-trail for about half an hour and Matt had constantly been bugging us about how long it would take us to get to the lake. He could be so awfully irritating sometimes.

"If you don't shut your bloody mouth soon I will make sure to drown you when we get there..." I heard Regina mutter and despite my irritation I couldn't help but smile at the thought. 

"It will probably take another ten minutes or so." Ethan answered and I was seriously amazed by how calm he could be even though his mate was so damn annoying. Maybe he was used to handling small children and thought that Matt wasn't so different from them? That was the only possible explanation I could think of.

"I'm so bored!" Matt whined and I could hear how everyone in the jeep tried to hold back their sighs. 

"We've noticed..." Adam said from the front seat and I had to look out the window to make sure nobody noticed the grin on my face. 

Anton, Alex, Amber, Vincent and Kevin were all riding in a different car and at first I had considered them unlucky. Now I was beginning to think that it was actually me who had drawn the shortest straw. I mean who could even listen to Matt for more then ten minutes without going insane or seriously consider suicide? 

Before Matt had time to whine any more the road widened and a big lake came into view. Ethan, who were driving, pulled up and shut of the engine while Kate and Matt flung their seatbelts off. I watched as they pushed the car-door open and jumped out, taking of running towards the lake without so much as a second thought. Ethan climbed out together with Regina and followed at a more slow pace while I stayed were I was. 

I stared at the door-handle beside me and contemplated wether or not I could just stay in the car when I realized that Adam hadn't exited either. He was looking at me and when he noticed that I noticed him looking, he sent me a reassuring smile. 

"So you don't like water huh?" He said with a slight tilt of his head and I cursed Alex for running around telling everybody about my fears. I didn't like to be pitied. 

"I'm not pitying you if that's what you're thinking Ash. I'm only saying that there's nothing to be afraid of as long as you trust us. We're here to protect you after all." Adam added when he saw my grimace. 

Well, maybe that was the case but it didn't really matter because in the end I was still terrified of water. It didn't make a difference if they just told me that there was nothing to worry about. I needed reassurance...

"Then prove it." I said and I could see Adam raise an eyebrow in my direction. 

"Tell me how." He answered and I gave him a calculating glance. I guess this was one of those times when you have to take a leap of chance and hope that someone's there to catch you. Fine...I wasn't a coward after all. 

Instead of answering him I took a deep breath and pushed the car-door open. I jumped down on the ground and slammed the door closed after me. I could hear Adam do the same and when he had also exited the car I turned towards him and held my arms out. 

"Carry me. " I said with a small pout and I could see Adam's eyes slightly darken when he noticed. He studied me for another second and then he turned his back on me and crouched down.