Chapter 2.3 - Cleaning the Boar

Following the Boar, the three people can be seen awkwardly eyeing each other. The moment something harmful appeared, like the boars they unexpectedly came across on the trip, they just understood they had made a mistake by just paying attention to what was in front of them.

Riko broke the tension by saying, "I should look for a river," as he turned to face Hiroka, who was maintaining the same expression. Riko started to stand up, but Hiroka stopped him.

"There's no need to do that, as it's too dark to travel through this forest by yourself, and even with Sir Asher's assistance, I doubt you can find it right away."

"..." - Riko

When Hiroka confidently continued, "Leave the water to me and you two do the cleaning," Riko and Asher exchanged confused glances. Yet Asher quickly realized.

Hiroka's own magic had not been witnessed by Riko or Asher. Asher only had firsthand knowledge of his captain's magic because he had witnessed it while serving as the knight in Callisto. He had heard murmurs from some knights and other servants about The Second Prince's skill and knowledge with magic, but they had never actually seen the magic he possessed. Everyone at the Callisto's palace had surmised that Hiroka might possess magic akin to The Crown Prince, Lightning, and Wind, or possibly The King, Lightning, and Water. After all, Hiroka possesses the same Callisto blood that his father and brother do.

Even though he had never seen his magic—only the Flow of Mana he had once demonstrated to him—Hiroka himself saved Riko. Because he never inquired of the other knights or servants—or, perhaps more accurately, because he never really intended to inquire from the start—he also didn't know what magic the Crown Prince or the King possessed.

No one had ever seen Hiroka's power outside because he had been honing and testing his own magic in his room.

Riko instantly nodded as Hiroka glanced at him and said, "Would you kindly create a big basin that a Boar can fit in?" He knelt down and recited earth magic while placing his hands there. Before him, a large earthen basin materialized, followed by a large magic circle that was glowing brown.

With his right hand held high above the basin, Hiroka knelt down. Waiting and watching it with curiosity were Asher and Riko. Then, in front of his hand, a large magic circle in blue light appeared.

Without a chant, the inside of the earth basin suddenly became completely covered in ice, leaving both knights stunned and surprised. As soon as they noticed the ice, they both realized he had already attained the necessary level to be able to learn AEM. Riko, who has only a limited understanding of AEM, makes his eyes sparkle in wonder as he sees it for the first time, but his facial expression belies his true feelings.

As he concentrated on turning the ice back into the water, Hiroka was not yet finished. The water occasionally caused Hiroka difficulty. Ice came out rather than water, which was what was expected. He had been able to manipulate water since he was a little child (original host memories), but since discovering its AEM, he has never been able to do so completely.

Despite the fact that the ice in the basin had melted, the water was still icy cold.

With a satisfied grin on his face at his success, Hiroka said, "There, now we can clean the Boar." He then rose up straight and turned to face them.

With their eyes still wide-eyed from what they had just seen, Asher and Riko then set to work cleaning the boar. They cleaned the innards of the boar and removed the parts that aren't fit for human consumption. When the water became too bloody and filthy, Hiroka would replace it. Finally, as soon as the boar had been thoroughly cleaned, Asher and Riko promptly set it above the fire to be roasted.

Hiroka was seen waiting for the boar to be fully cooked while seated on the ground stool. He was so intent on reviving the ice that there were obvious sweats on his forehead. He was simply psychologically worn out from concentrating on turning his ice back around. Since he has been using Light magic to heal his body every week of the year, it had no effect on his health. However, this does not imply that he is already healthy. He would cough up blood when he used his magic too much, leaving his body paralyzed and in excruciating pain all over. The poison was still present.

***

The three individuals could already smell something because the roasting of the boar was now complete.

Asher was the first to sample some of the boar's meat in order to judge its flavor. They were fortunate that Riko had been handed a bag of salt when he was previously selling to some Boar settlements even though they had not brought any seasonings.

Asher asked incredulously and angrily, "Why did they only give it to you? What about me? I was there too," to which Riko only shrugged in response.

Asher swallowed down the boar and then looked at Hiroka, giving him a confident nod before grabbing another piece, showing that the meat was tasty.

Riko and Hiroka exchanged nods as they began to devour the boar's meat, a wonderful gleam in their eyes.

Hiroka finally felt satisfied after eating all the delicious food, so he asked Riko to make three mugs for each of them. As usual, Riko used his magic to create the mugs.

The three mugs' ice is filled by Hiroka, who then turns it back into the water. He then set the three mugs next to the campfire to allow the heat from it to preheat the drinks so they would be fresh. They waited for a while sitting there in front of the fire.

The night was quiet and chilly. Their tummies were full. Now... Hiroka yawned, and the quiet nighttime within the carriage was quickly filled with his sleep. Riko and Asher were alert and kept a close eye on their surroundings.