Of Love and Hate

They did not speak of imperfection for another week, but a few days later, Sauron asked if he would be interested in learning about the governance of Mordor and its tributaries.

Which was how Bilbo found himself in the throne room for the first time.

It was made of black brick like the rest of the fortress city -he had been told that the bricks were made of ash, which was in abundance with their proximity to the volcano-, though the room seemed to defy physics as the room held no walls nor windows, providing a perfect view of the city and surrounding areas with Mount Doom behind the throne.

The throne itself was in the very center of the room, on a large dais the size of a small cabin four meters above the floor, with the backrest reaching all the way to the ceiling.

But Bilbo could get past that, the thing that was very strange to him was that the circlet he was wearing was Sauron's; it was a very loose fit, but his curls kept it in place well enough and the maia's skilled fingers had wound the strands of gold to be a bit snugger on him and the gem that resembled the Eye was half-hidden by said curls.

He had tried to get around wearing it, but the Dark Lord would not have it and said it would get everyone up to speed when they saw him wearing it without wasting time.

Not willing to further argue, Bilbo wore the circlet and sat on a black divan -that he suspected had been dragged by some unlucky servant from Sauron's personal quarters on the top floor- by the throne, feeling dwarfed by the massive furniture.

A tall man eventually entered the throne room, his helmet covered his entire head save his lipless mouth which left his yellow teeth on permanent display -in fact, he did not have any skin covering any of his teeth, peeling back to expose the muscle of his rotting gums and he wore black leather robes -that Bilbo could not help but think were dreadfully impractical in Mordor's heat- and a cloth cloak over that with the hood drawn up.

"My faithful Mouth." Sauron greeted, more for Bilbo's sake than to acknowledge his servant

The hobbit had heard of the Mouth of Sauron several times, but he had never seen him in person; it was also clear that the lieutenant was shocked by the twitch on his mouth as he knelt, which both Sauron and Bilbo noticed.

The Dark Lord's fingers rapped the armrest of his throne, "Do you not recognize your Lord and Master?"

"Forgive me, master." The Mouth begged, going into an impossibly lower bow, "I was momentarily bewitched by the majesty of your physical form."

Sauron let his Mouth grovel for a few moments more before continuing, "Is the reconstruction of Isengard progressing to my specifications?"

"Yes, my lord, construction will be finished by the year's end at the latest." The Mouth confirmed

"And you have tamed the Uruk-hai?" The Lord of Mordor inquired

The Mouth of Sauron confirmed that as well, saying that they recognized him as their true master with Saurman's influence gone.

Bilbo did do his best to pay attention to all that was going on in the conversation he witnessed, but without any context, he did not know what an Uruk-hai was or why Isengard needed to be rebuilt.

A few others took audience with Sauron throughout the next few hours including: the Witch King, the Tower of Sauron -who was a Man wearing a metal muzzle that seemed to be attached to his skull and had four swords stuck in his body and from what Bilbo gathered, he was the Black Captain of northern Mordor-, the Hammer of Sauron -who was also a Man but his armor seemed to have melted into his skin, leaving only his face visible, who was the Black Captain of southern Mordor- and the Black Hand of Sauron -who looked like an ordinary human man who wore a a black cloak that hid his face, who Bilbo guessed was a spymaster.

Something Bilbo did quickly come to understand was that almost all of the highest ranking -or rather, most devoted- people in Mordor had 'of Sauron' attached to their names? titles? both?

***

This was the first time he had ever heard Sauron's thoughts while in his memories, Bilbo realized as he watched the then red-haired maia lean on a railing, looking out to the icy mountains below.

"When did this stop being about perfecting the world?" Sauron thought as he looked at the setting sun, "When were destruction and chaos our only goal?"

His gaze turned downwards towards his curls, "When did I let myself become this? All I do is clean up his messes!"

"Would Aulë take me back? Would he even want to?" Marion wondered, "I could try for redemption, show them I can be good. Do I even deserve it? It would take thousands of years to regain their trust, but I could work hard."

A figure stepped from the shadows, "Your thoughts are loud, my flame."

Sauron's golden eyes widened slightly at the sight of him, his voice not giving his fear away, "What brings you to my quarters, master?"

Melkor's black pupils swallowed the sclera, his eyes an empty void as he grabbed Mairon's chin, "Your traitorous thoughts. Do you think the Valar would even want you back? Do you forget that it was in your fortress where Maedhros was suspended?"

His nails dug into the skin of Mairon's face, tiny streams of his blood trickling down the shorter's neck and the taller male's wrist, "They would never forgive you, they would cast you into the Void before you could even try pleading your case to Manwë."

His pupils receded to their proper place and his tone grew calmer, "Besides, even if they did accept you back, you would diminish with them. I alone see your greatness, I alone appreciate your gifts, I alone notice the perfection of your talents. But you know that already, do you not, Sauron? You know that just as you know I alone love you."

The Maia nodded, "Yes, master, I would never leave your side."

Seemingly pleased, Morgoth kissed him, "Good. Do not have these 'thought experiments' about the contrary again."

He then left, disappearing into the shadows just as he arrived.

Bilbo frowned, leaning on the railing with the memory version of Mairon, knowing the present version was probably watching since he always knew when he was in his memories, "He was a liar, he is not the only one."

***

The following morning, when the hobbit lay in bed trying to convince himself to get ready for the day, he could not stop thinking of the memory he witnessed in his dreams as well as the previous ones he had seen that Melkor has been in.

That was when the realization practically slapped him across the face, the reason that the Maia seemed to adore yet hate the Vala.

Sauron had captive's sickness.