Chapter 4: The Guildmaster

Heyo, at 45k words on Vivian Prologue again. 

Word count is like 2400+

Anyway, please join my discord if you wanna talk about this or make suggestions: https://discord.gg/aV9cGRYAtH

________________________________________________________________________________

Charlie's pov: 

"Hey, get up." Sammy tapped on my head. 

My eyes snapped open, and I sat up. 

"Huh? Were you even asleep?" Sammy raised an eyebrow and put a hand on my shoulder. 

I shook my head, no. 'I can't sleep.' 

She stared at me for a few moments, seemingly trying to read the look in my eyes, then shrugged. "You really shouldn't just lay there with your eyes closed on a wooden bench then, kinda creepy." 

I nodded. 'Sorry.' I wasn't using my skill, so my responses fell on deaf brains. 

"Charlie, are you awake?" Sarah's head peaked through the door. 

I nodded. I had been pretending to sleep all morning to help keep up the act of an otherworlder, who I guessed would probably not naturally wake up at dawn like seemingly medieval farmers. 

"Do you need time to get ready to go to the Free Guild?" Sarah was preparing a pair of baskets, and was packing one with a lunch. 

I shook my head, then stood up and stretched visibly. 

"She says she doesn't." Sammy was still closely inspecting me, something she'd spent far too long doing the previous night already. 

I glanced at her and shook my head again. 'Please stop it..' 

She frowned and looked away, "Fine fine." She huffed under her breath and took out her notebook again to start writing. 

'I'll have to ask where she got that.' I turned to Sarah again. 

Sarah was already on her way out the front door, "Well, if you wanna come. You are gonna have to get going." 

I nodded and followed along with her. 'I'll need to try to strengthen my barrier.' 

As we walked along, I started practicing my control to leak even less magicules. By the time we'd reached the outer gate of the farm, I think I had it. 

It made Magic Sense a lot harder to use accurately, no more detailed sight on everything if I didn't really focus on it for a little while. 

Sammy started looking at me with a raised eyebrow again, with a weird look of confusion on her face. "Hey yo-" she stopped mid-sentence and looked away. 

'What was that about? Can she not see my aura anymore?... Good.' I had been hoping I'd achieve that by the time we'd gotten to the city. 

"Ok, Charlie, since you might not wanna frighten anyone with your skill, could you start telling me more about yourself? Like your full name, where you are from, and what year you are from?" Sarah started slowing down to walked beside us. 

I nodded and reached out a tiny bit with my aura, before engaging Thought Communication, 'My full name is Charlotte Emily. I am from Hurricane Utah, but I've been all over the south western United States with my father. I am from the year 1984, early in the year.' I was proud I could still remember that much, some of the others couldn't. 

Privately I thought, 'Sharing my real story should be fine.. Plus it would be harder to come up with a convincing lie..' 

"Alright dear, that is a lot but I think I've got it. Wasn't expecting you to go into that much detail right away though." Sarah shrugged herself and kept walking ahead a bit faster, gaining a lead again. 

"Yeah.. That really is a lot. Don't know what most of it means though. Were you preparing to answer questions like those all night?" Sammy glanced at me as she kicked a rock along the road. 

I shook my head no, while sealing my aura as much as I could again. 

A calm silence settled in as we walked, until eventually, we got to the gates of the city. 

Almost twenty feet tall, guarded by stone and wood.

'Imposing!.. But also I think I could blast those open if I really tried.. Is this really gonna keep people safe?' I mentally sighed. 

Sarah started talking to the guards. 

I was focused on my Find Familiar skill though, it was seriously going off this close to the city. I could almost feel it shaking my mind. I tried to suppress it so I could focus. 

"Charlie?" Sarah waved her hand in front of me. 

I shook my head and looked at her directly. 

"Let's go." 

I nodded and followed the woman through the gates. 

The moment I passed them though, a pain shot through me. A small itching pain, draining pain. It was over my entire body, but focused on my skin. 'Ow ow ow ow! That hurts!' 

I could tell with magic sense, magicules were trying to get yanked off of me. 'Good thing my barrier is keeping them in place..' 

"Charlie? You stopped again." Sammy grabbed onto my shoulder again and started yanking me along. 

My eyes widened and I started following along again. 'I'll just try to strengthen my barrier more..' 

"We'll need to go through the market first, but I we'll get to the free guild in time." Sarah spoke, as she turned down a sidestreet. 

________________________________________________________________________________

William's pov: 

'Damn voice! Insulting me for hours with some stupid game..' I sighed and looked around as I finally felt I had a body again. 

A massive hall with a ceiling set impractically high. 

Walking down the hall was a man with a long beard in a flowing robe. Suddenly he stopped, and just stared at me. 

'I don't think this is Utah.'