chasing chaos.

"this is how the world works

"this is how the world works."

~~~~~

TATUM SOMMERS HAD QUICKLY LEARNED HOW TO HOLD HERSELF TOGETHER. For as long as she remembered, she had been keeping herself together and she was doing a pretty damn good job at it. Her mom was proud, her few friends were happy, and she was all put together without a single reason for others to worry.

She didn't feel much though, but she was told that that was better than how it had been before. Before, before...people thought she was crazy, that she was too much, and maybe it was.

But she hadn't always been that way—either way.

Tatum had once been a young girl, who had never seen an ounce of cruelty. She grew up with the ideas of true love and magic and that the gift of living was an ethereal beauty that could do no wrong.

She didn't know any better.

She didn't know that life was harsh and cruel, that it was ruthless and unforgiving, that all it ever did was let destruction run wild, leaving a grief of wake in its path without the smallest bit of remorse. All she could ever do was believe that life was like the fairytales that she was fascinated with. That it was always going to end in a blissful happy ending.

And that was all she had ever wanted—her very own happily ever after.

She had always been chasing after it.

But then it all went to shit.

Every sweet and innocent belief that the young girl ever had was crushed. She became aware that there was pain and suffering, misery and grief, loss and countless other dark entities she had never encountered before.

And she began to spiral.

The lines between what was good and what was evil quickly got blurred. She soon lost all meaning of what was real and what was fake—what was reality and what was simply her imagination.

Tatum simply stopped caring.

She no longer cared about chasing after her happily ever after.

She just let life take its course without care of where it was leading her. Whether it was a path to good or a path to something darker. She liked the feeling of not having to always be in control. She liked the feeling of chasing chaos.

And call her reckless, but that made her feel alive.

But now, she was grounded in reality.

She put herself back together. She no longer was a worry for those that cared about her because she was holding herself together. She no longer was reckless when it came to her life or the lives around her.

She was fine.

Or at least she was until she returned to a small town in Virginia.

Returning to her hometown made it all the more difficult for Tatum to hold herself together. Everywhere she looked, there was some type of temptation, begging for her to fall apart. Because even after all this time, as much as still wanted that happily ever after, she enjoyed the feeling of chasing chaos a little too much, whether she wanted to admit it or no

~~~~~

a/n: hello lovelies:) it's thirty minutes late where I am, but merry christmas and happy holidays! consider this my little present or gift or whatever you want to consider it

a/n: hello lovelies:) it's thirty minutes late where I am, but merry christmas and happy holidays! consider this my little present or gift or whatever you want to consider it. here's the new little summary thingy for this story. i miss the 'insanity plea' version, but i am excited to see how this rewrite plays out.

for the re-readers! thank you for sticking around with my obnoxious and indecisive ass. i appreciate every single one of you for sticking around. hopefully, the rewrite does this story justice and that you don't miss the old version too much.

for the new readers! thank you for choosing to read this story! I have to warn you that in no way am i a professional writer, i do this for fun and i make a shit ton of mistakes when i write. hopefully, you guys enjoy this story and decide to stick around with my slow updates.

to all of you, i really hope you stay to see what i have done with this story. i am excited for you guys to see what i have changed. there will not be constant updates, it'll be very random---just a little warning.

tatum is a flawed character so be prepared for that. she's nowhere near perfect and if that annoys you then leave. no hate comments are needed because of that either.

okay? okay.

there is going to be edits posted about this story as well as my others on my titktok. the link is in my bro or the user is ashryanne.wp.

please don't be a silent reader. vote and comment.

stay safe and love you lots<333