Three Heartbeats: Part 1

[Season 3]

Teru walked through the never-ending meadow, naked as the day he was born. He held out a hand to the side to brush his fingers against the colorful wildflowers that reached his bare hips. The light gray clouds rolled quickly across the sky, covering every inch of blue. The mildewy scent warned it would downpour at any second, but Teru knew it wouldn't rain. That was just how this place was. His inner werewolf preferred this weather, leaving it in a constant state of pre-storm.

He saw the giant black beast ahead. It rested on plants and tall grass that was flattened into a circle. The wolf looked elsewhere towards the ground. Getting closer, Teru saw three wolf pups on the flower bed. Colorful petals stuck to their fur. Two white pups growled playfully and nipped at each other's ears, while the black one stayed closer to its mother for warmth. The poor thing was shivering! It was much smaller than its two snowy siblings, likely the runt.

Teru stepped into the open circle. He sat next to his inner werewolf, feeling like a pup himself because of its immense size. Two of the babies would grow to match the size of their mother, as they were already the length of his arm.

Not the black pup, though. It was only half the size of the other two, who were healthy and boasting with energy.

The wolf whined, trying to tell him that something was wrong. Teru sat on his knees and carefully picked up the dark one. Instead of squirming to be put down, the pup was limp in his grasp. Its condition wasn't good. Back home in the real forest, this sickly offspring would have been abandoned and left to die.

"It's not okay," Teru said sadly. He held it like a newborn, its tail resting over his rounding belly bump. The pup didn't open its eyes or acknowledge him, just remained deadweight and cold.

"Is...it going to die?" A single raindrop plopped on his nose. "Hmm?"

Teru glanced up. The clouds were ominous and dark grey. Was it going to rain? It had never rained here before. Why now? More sprinkles fell on his face. The white pups whimpered as it showered harder, running to hide in their mother's belly fur. The chilly wind gave him goosebumps.

He hugged the black pup tighter, trying to protect it from the incoming hurricane that blew the flowers away. All the while, the wolf stared at Teru the entire time. He met its gaze, but he had to squint because the water was soaking his hair, dripping droplets into his eyes. The wind howled, like it was trying to tell him something.

"What's happening?" he asked.

Lightning flashed across the sky. The thunder shook the ground, rumbling loudly. The werewolf looked down at its dying pup that Teru cradled close. Teru did the same, feeling the life drain from its pitiful body.

CHIRP. CHIRP. CHIRP. CHIRP. CHIRP.

Teru opened his eyes, awake from visiting his werewolf's realm. A small bird sang a song above him in the tree. Flocks must be migrating north. He was lying on a blanket, laid out on the grass. A shoreline was nearby with a lake and red-sanded beach, surrounded by trees that were either barren or blooming with green leaves. The sunset made the horizon a striking orange and yellow color. It would be nighttime in an hour or so.

He sat up in different winter clothes than what he wore earlier before falling asleep in the car. The outfit was making him sweat from the unusually warm temperatures for this time of year. There was no one around, bringing back the terrifying feeling of being alone, like when Kieran was the enemy and left Teru by himself for weeks in the penthouse.

Teru stood and looked from side to side with panic, ignoring the ache in his wrapped feet. With the recent dream of the black pup and waking up in an unfamiliar place, Teru felt anxious; borderline nesting fit anxious, to be exact. His skin itched painfully like a dog with a serious case of fleas. He scratched vigorously at his throat since the sleeves of his sweater were too thick to roll up and aim for his forearms. Scratching and scratching, his neck became an angry red. This wasn't a good habit and Teru knew he should stop, but his hormones were skyrocketing his distress off the charts!