Three Heartbeats: Part 2

Pride's shame was smothering, literally choking him.

Teru left his side of their invisible connection wide open, easy for Kieran to enter. This little omega's mind was exposed for him to explore, and Kieran was not prepared to feel the turmoil of a soon-to-be mother who wondered if the pregnancy was lost. It was a new grieving emotion for Kieran, one that he could never fully comprehend since he was simply the sire.

Kieran wanted to know what Teru had seen and felt, plus find every injured spot.

It's my fault. His pain was all my fault, was what Kieran, the alpha, wanted to say aloud. Yet, Pride held it in. Though difficult to say in words, perhaps he could help his partner, whose emotions were all over the place.

"Stand in front of me. I'll help you." He pushed up Teru's sweater.

"What are you doing?"

"Vampires have the keenest sense of hearing."

He almost growled in frustration at seeing the belly's size, slightly bigger for ten weeks along since three new souls were developing. It had grown since the night they discovered Teru was expecting, and Abaddon stole that time away from them. Did Teru get morning sickness often? Had the food cravings begun yet? What triggered his nausea? These were questions Kieran didn't know; special moments they'd never get back. From here on out, things would be different. He'd be there to comfort Teru every step of the way.

As softly as he could, Kieran pressed his ear next to Teru's belly button.

"K-Kieran?"

"Shh. Let me listen."

The sound of blood pulsing in his veins.

Hunger pangs grumbling.

Moving liquid. It was likely from the amniotic sac protecting the beings inside.

There was a heartbeat. It was strong and constant. A second one thumped beside it. Those two pups were fine. Kieran had trouble detecting the third pup, so he turned his head to the other side of Teru's stomach. Still nothing.

"Do you...hear them?"

Kieran was concerned. Should he be honest? He probably shouldn't lie. He said with the utmost care, "Two of their hearts are good."

"T-two?" His tone went high with shock, eyes widening.

"Be patient," Kieran reassured. Closing his eyes to focus, he muttered, "Where are you?"

"Who are you talking to? Me?"

"I was told the unborn can detect voices. Sometimes, they can remember after birth."

"I didn't know that."

THUMP. THUMP.

It was faint, much slower than its siblings. Its position must be towards the bottom of their watery home. THUMP. THUMP. THUMP.

Regardless, the third pup was alive. Whether it was okay was questionable, but alive. "She's in there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They both sighed with relief. Teru couldn't believe Kieran was able to hear such a miracle. He wished he could listen, too. As Kieran re-adjusted his shirt down over his belly, Teru raised an eyebrow at his alpha's words. "She?"

"She. I'm not wrong."

Teru leaned down and rubbed his cheeks on his dark red hair. He was scent-marking him, leaving whiffs of brown sugar. "What if you are?"

"I'm never wrong," Kieran growled. "I'm not stupid, either."

Teru laughed at his seriousness, blowing red strands in all directions with a puff of breath. "You've been wrong before. There's no shame in it. And when did I say you were stupid?"

"I heard you," Kieran said, voice muffled in Teru's clothes, "in our fated path. You were trying to take my pain to keep me alive."

Oh...

That...

"Please say something, Teru. Can you hear us?" The pack had been trying to get him to talk for a while, but he was too distraught.

Teru sat in a huddled ball in the corner. Emotionally, he was drained as he sensed Kieran's life fade more and more. Physically, because his mark was spreading some sort of toxin. The crimson color continued to fill in his veins. It had expanded to his collarbone and underneath his jawline.

One thing he regretted was when he attempted to take on Kieran's pain, forgetting about the fact that he was pregnant. His mate's looming death sent the omega into panic mode. He tried to force himself into the star that was almost split in two.

"You stupid alpha! Let me in!" Teru wanted to yell into the black void. Kieran had blocked him. That idiot knew what his omega would try to do. He bawled in his hands, apologizing to his pups for putting them at risk.

"Don't ever attempt that again. It's not just your life on the line. Think about you. Think about them. Do you understand me? It would've been too much trauma for you. Do you realize that you could have died feeling my silver poisoning?"

"Yeah...," Teru whispered. He hid his face in Kieran's hair again, thinking of the 'what ifs.' If he had actually been able to trade their pain at that time, what would have occurred? Blacking out? Coma? Dying? Lavender?

Hmm? Lavender?

He sniffed harder. Besides his own sweet pheromones, Kieran's hair also smelled like lavender and blood.

These were from Lucas.

Just when Teru felt momentary peace after knowing the pups were okay, he had another person to worry about.

"Where's Lucas?"