Ticking Time Bomb

Once the pack was gone, Derek's hand settled on Stiles' shoulder. "You alright?"

Stiles looked up at him. He was calm, stoic. Stiles knew that Derek often wore a mask for the benefit of the pack and that things bothered him way more than he showed, but Stiles didn't know how he did it.

Derek smelled the frustration and stress on Stiles. The air grew acrid and bitter.

"I don't know how you do this. I mean...I'm barely keeping it together here." Stiles pushed away from the computer, causing Derek's hand to fall away.

Derek watched as Stiles started to pace the living room.

"I'm constantly worrying about my dad and now we have this thing with Lydia which is never nothing. I swear it's connected to the missing people, I just don't know how yet. And I'm not finding anything out, which is frustrating the hell out of me. And now I have to worry about the pack finding out about..." Stiles gestured between him and Derek. "Us. I feel like I'm standing on a ticking time bomb. I'm just waiting for things to go wrong and I don't know how to keep it together."

Derek hated seeing Stiles so stressed, but he always found his flailing rants endearing.

"How are you so calm?" Stiles asked.

Derek chuckled, dropping his chin to his chest. "I'm far from calm, Stiles." He said before looking back up.

Stiles let out a sigh.

"I'm just as worried about Lydia's dreams as you are. And I see how much you worry for your dad and it upsets me. Anytime a pack member is stressed or worried it upsets me. And yes, I also feel like I'm standing on a ticking time bomb. But I also have you and the rest of the pack. I know that as soon as we get any clue, you'll figure it out. You always do. And whatever comes of Lydia's dreams, we'll handle it, together. And I promise you I will do everything in my power to keep your dad safe."

Stiles nodded. "I know."

"As for worrying about the pack finding out. I don't want to be the cause of your worry. If we need to stop then—"

"No," Stiles cut in abruptly. "It's been a nice distraction and honestly a huge stress relief. I don't want to stop."

Disappointment and pride fought for control of Derek's emotions. He was glad to be a stress relief for Stiles but knowing that he was only a distraction was hard to hear.

"I think I just need to feel like I'm making progress, ya know?"

"What can I do to help?" Derek asked.

"You already have," Stiles gave a small smile.

"Why don't we swing by the station? See your dad. Maybe I can overhear some conversations while you check on him."

Stiles' face lit up. "That's genius."

Derek smiled, as he grabbed his car keys and followed Stiles out of the loft.

-

"Stiles, what are you doing here?" Noah sighed at the sight of him walking into the station. His annoyance melted into concern when he saw Derek walk in behind him. "What's wrong?"

"No, nothing's wrong, dad," Stiles assured him.

"We thought you guys might need a boost." Derek held up the two cup holders full of coffee.

"Oh." Noah deflated.

Stiles handed one of the cups to his dad while Derek handed out the rest to the remaining officers.

"Where's Parrish?" Stiles asked. The last coffee was in his hand.

"Out. Is this a bribe?" Noah asked, his eyes meeting Derek's as if he would tell him the truth.