Vol. 5.5 - Contemplations

Part 1

(3rd Person POV)

As the second day of the Uninhabited Island Exam approaches its end, everyone started to settle down. Along the coastline of G9, a group of students set up camp, each unpacking their things.

Among those students, Ayanokoji Kiyotaka had just gotten back from speaking with his exam partner over the walkie-talkiee, and was now setting up his own tent beneath a tree. Alongside him were Nanase Tsubasa, Hirata Yosuke, Mori Nene, and Wang Mei-Yu (also known as Mii-chan.)

Throughout the day they had tackled different events, and it ended with Nanase accompanying Ayanokoji in his travels around the island, and both groups camping in the same location. Not wanting to feel like a burden, Nanase decided to help set up the porta potty bought by Hirata's group.

"That must've costed you a lot." Ayanokoji said to Hirata as they set up their tents.

"Well guys and girls have their own needs. We talked it out, and came to the conclusion that this was necessary." Hirata replied.

Although Hirata was initially apprehensive in buying the porta potty, since it would mean that they would have to sacrifice buying more food, he recalled the first island exam they had, and eventually gave in.

"I see." Said Ayanokoji.

After setting up their tents and porta potty, Hirata instructed everyone to gather as much fire wood as they could. After they had set up their campfires, everyone started to unpack their food. As they did that, a voice from a short distance spoke up.

"So you're cooking this time, Kiyotaka?"

Everyone turned their heads to see Class, D's residential sadist, Karma, approach them.

"I was getting things ready for you." Ayanokoji replied to his exam partner.

Nanase turned her head to him, and asked. "Does this mean Akabane-senpai does the cooking between you two?"

"Well he willingly volunteered... Also he just prefers his own cooking." Ayanokoji answered.

"Not to sound like I'm bragging-" Karma settles down near Kiyotaka. "but between you and I, I have a better chance at earning a compliment from Gordon Ramsey than you would."

The others let out a light laugh at the red head's joke.

"Hello, Akabane-kun." Hirata greeted, soon followed by Mori and Mii-chan.

"Hey." Karma returned the greeting. "Alright. Move over and let me work, T-Rex-kun." Karma says as he shoos Ayanokoji away from the fire.

The girls were confused by the nickname he gave him, meanwhile Ayanokoji and Hirata understood the meaning behind it completely. Ayanokoji was annoyed, but remained quiet, while Hirata just let out a nervous laugh.

Ayanokoji just stood up and walked towards to thicket to relieve himself, while Karma, Mii-chan, and Nanase start working. As they did so, Karma spoke up.

"So... Nanase-san, no Hosen-kun nor Amasawa-san for tonight?"

Nanase shook her head. "No. I'm afraid we'll be camping apart for some nights. Sorry senpai. I did tell Amasawa-san you said hi."

"Well that's a shame." Karma pouted.

"Are you perhaps close with her, Akabane-kun."

"Ah, well." Karma perked up. "We happened to meet by chance. Turns out we went to the same elementary school, so we had a few things to talk about."

While Karma didn't technically lie, he did decide to omit the White Room's existence entirely.

"What school did you went to, Akabane-kun?" Asked Mori.