Chapter 24

A/N: This chapter is... BIG.

And by big, I mean long. As in I had to split it across two chapters.

I totally got carried away with it, and dragged it out probably way too much. It actually took forever to write, but I'm so happy with it, and I hope you guys enjoy reading it just as much as I did writing it!

Today was the day.

(Y/N) sat upright in her sleeping bag, the sun barely breaking over the horizon. The sky was a nice dark blue, a purple tint playing at the edge of the earth, and the stars, though still visible, were fading. The (a/t) had gotten what she thought was the best sleep she'd had since coming to these ruins, which still wasn't great, but she felt energised for the day. In fact, she had never felt so calm before a mission, not like the war anyway. The difference was that she actually felt like this mission was going to go right, they had a failsafe for every possible thing that could go wrong.

The (a/t) sat up. Stretching her arms and letting out a sigh. Sonic laid still sleeping next to her and she glanced at him, smiling to herself. He seemed so peaceful; she didn't want to disturb him. He laid on his stomach, arms up under the makeshift pillow and back slowly rising and falling. It was cute seeing him relaxed, considering he's usually bursting with energy, never staying in the one spot for long.

Even still, she knew she would have to get him up. They had a big day after all. Reaching over, she placed her hand on his shoulder, and hesitant, gave him a shake. Sonic groaned and stirred, shifting as he started to wake up. His eyes opened slowly, a tired gaze peering up towards the (a/t). A smile appeared on the hedgehog's muzzle, and he sat up, letting out a yawn and stretching out his arms and back. A few pops later and he slumped forward, scratching his ear,

"Alright..." Sonic's voice was groggy, "You ready to see your family?"

"Yep." (Y/N) said, though she gripped the sleeping bag tightly.

The blue hero smiled and got to his feet, stretching again. Once the (a/t) had joined him, the two made their way over to the centre of the ruins. The sun was rising higher now, making the ruins' shadows stretch towards the tree line of the forest. The two took their place around the smoking charcoal of last night's campfire, waiting as the others slowly got up for the day.

Soon enough, Tails was joining them, the golden fox yawning and rubbing his eye as he sat next to Sonic, his laptop placed hap-hazardly next to him. Then, as if on cue, Silver emerged from one of the ruined buildings, followed closely by Haven. Both stood across from the others, arms crossed as they waited for their breakfast. It didn't take long for everyone to eat, or, maybe to (Y/N) it didn't feel that long. The morning seemed to be going by rather quickly, the sun now making the shadows start to shrink as it rose higher and higher.

Once everyone had eaten, Silver and Haven took off into the forest, the two already on their way to start out their part of the plan. Tails was now on his laptop, booting it up so that he would have all the information ready by the time (Y/N) and Sonic arrived at the base. As they hurried through the forest, Sonic handed the (a/t) an earpiece. She smiled and took it, nodding to him as she stuck it in her ear. Almost immediately, she could hear Tails talking to the others, the fox was already hacked into Eggman's system. He was commenting on how the outside cameras were slowly blacking out one by one, and that the blue hedgehog and (f/c) (a/t) should wait for his signal before heading inside.

"Chances are, Eggman is expecting you two. So, we're going to make him squirm." The fox said.

Sonic nodded, and the two finally arrived at the base. They stayed back in the trees, listening to Tails' commentary. He wanted to see just how long Eggman's calm demeanour would last, since all his outdoor cameras were now down, and nothing was happening. Better to get under the doctor's skin than go in with him prepared.