Tip toe- 29

Little footsteps tip-toe their way through the wooden hallways, dodging squeaky boards. Morgan drags Peter by his finger, eager to get a late night snack. (it's 9:30 but very much past her bedtime)

"C'mon Peter."

"Yeah, yeah I'm coming," grinning at her impatient whisper. "Dad's gonna kill us."

"Nah-uh," she protests. "Daddy used to get me juice pops past my bedtime all the time. Then mommy yelled at him."

"That does sound about right. What do you think she'll do if she finds me letting you stay up late?"

"I think she likes you better."

Peter covers his face, trying to conceal his laughter. Though, you can still hear the breathy chuckles. Morgan presses a finger to her lips and shushes him.

Peter puts his hands up in surrender, "ok, sorry, let's get you a juice pop. No more after that though, ok?"

"Ok."

They both flinch when the freezer shuts loudly.
They're both still for a moment, unsure if Tony or Pepper would walk out the door to see what the noise was.

Though, apparently, Tony was already there.

Watching this entire thing pan out.

"Funny seeing you two here."

"Crap."

"Uh-oh."

"Uh-oh is right," he says. He's hard to read for a moment and Peter thinks he might be mad. He opens his mouth to apologise, maybe talk the two of them out of a lecture, but it seems he's interpreted his mentor's expression the wrong way.

"Didn't even invite dear old dad to the little party you've got going on? You wound me."

"Last time mommy yelled at you so I brought Peter because she won't yell at him."

"Smart," he muses. He pushes himself up to his feet I with a grunt. "Now. Morgan sweetie, what juice pop do ya recommend for tonight?"

A big, joyful, smile spreads across her face.

She rummages through the freezer once again and pulls out a red one, handing it to her dad.
"This one!"

"What's going on out here?"

Tony grimaces and pivots on his heel slowly to face his wife.
"Hi honey. Uh... welcome to the party?"

She raises an eyebrow, crossing her arms.
"Shouldn't she be in bed?"

"It was Peter."

"Dude."

She hums, narrowing her eyes.

"I knew it," Morgan whispers.

"Knew what?"

"Nothing mommy," says with a grin. "You want a juice pop?"

Pepper pretends to think about it for a moment, and then shrugs. "Sure, why not? Bed right after though, it's late. We talked about not picking up on your dad's habits."

She looks Tony right in the eyes and winks. His jaw drops.

"The disrespect- My own wife too," he mutters under his breath.

Peter laughs, opening up his ice pop.

He loves this family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words- 458