Chapter twenty seven

(Song for this chapter is Unstable by Justin Bieber & the kid Laroi)

"I love you Bruno, and every day I realize just how easy you are to love."
"I love you Bruno."
"I love you Bruno."
"I love you Bruno."

Her words replay in my head.

She loves me.
She loves me.

She loves me – she said she loves me. Why is it so hard for my brain to process that? Why is it hard to believe it? I can easily imagine myself falling in love with her, I can see a future with her, hell I can even see her in a white fucking gown, but I can't see her loving me.

"I love you Bruno."
I've only heard these words by two people my entire life, and they're both gone now.

She loves me.

Can there be a future for us? Could we make it?
she'll end up abandoning you like everyone else.
What if it works out and we figure it out together?
you'll drag her down with you and make her miserable, she'll hate you for it.
What if I love her and I make her happy?
your love is like poison, it'll kill her slowly. Look where she is right now because of you.

She betrayed me. I betrayed her.
She makes me happy. I make her happy.
She makes my heart skip every damn beat.
She's the only one who makes me smile from my heart.
I want to protect her. I can protect her.
She loves me. I love her.

The decision is made, it was made years ago but right now I'll put it into reality – I'll make it true.
I open my mouth, ready to spit the three words that can change everything,
"Amalie I-I.."
"Bruno" she pleads, waiting on the words to leave my lips.
don't do it.
"I-"

The doors open and tunes me back into reality. We're accompanied by Landon, his guards and blinding lights. I blink a couple of times, and when my sight clears I see the look of disapproval on Landon's face as he peeps into our cells.
"Can't say I'm glad you dressed up my hostage, Rodriguez."

I feel my blood running cold, not only at the fact that he lied to me, but that he dared to go against my words. I was mad at Amalie; I saw my name and Landon's on her phone, and I wanted to anger her – I wanted to ruin her mission but I never intended for him to do this. I told him to keep his security up, but I followed it up with a clear message that she wasn't to be touched. Yet he didn't listen, and for that he'll pay.

We did a lot of research on Landon, and his business associates. Everyone had good things to say, and his history wasn't flawed either except for some baseless rumors. Landon Rivers was a business man, he associated with some shady people but he didn't have anything on him so I never understood why he was one of her targets but now that I see what he's capable of I have a feeling that whatever he's involved in isn't all rainbows.

"You're going to pay for this Rivers." I say in calm tone, it doesn't matter if he isn't involved in anything bad enough for me to kill him – he's going to die either way for touching her.
"I'm not a big fan of threats my friend."
"I'm not your fucking friend."

My comment seems only to amuse him, he doesn't answer though instead he nods to his guards. Two of them go into Amalie's cell, and my body goes into fight mode. I swear to God if they-

"Fucking bitch!" One shouts, and I smile when I hear the sound of something breaking.
"Should've sent more than two guards, she's a tough one." I tease, looking at a pissed Landon. He gives me a displeased look and turns to the other guard.

"Go for plan b."

Seconds later, a bunch of guards come rushing into my cell and I get ready to fight. I manage to injure at least four of them, but the second I turn to the fifth one I feel something hit the side of my neck, it doesn't take long for me to understand that it was a needle. Just like I expected, the room started spinning shortly after and it went black.