Hey Monkeys

A lot lingered in the air as we sat in the car. I watched intently as she maneuvered through the streets. Trees and houses passed by the window quickly. Manny's nose was crinkled the way it did when she was worried. To think that I was the cause of her worry did something to me. It both honored and upset me that I could evoke any kind of emotion from her. Seriously I don't even know this girl, but she is quickly becoming my favorite person to see. I glanced at her every so often to see if her nose was still crinkled and surely it was. Without realizing what I was doing I placed my hand, what I hope is comfortingly, on her leg. She tensed up before easing into my touch. Her bottom lip slipping into her mouth which only meant she was nervous. I didn't know what kind of answers to give Manny, but I knew she deserved them. Honestly I don't even know what her questions are, but what I do know is she deserves better than this.

            As the car came to a halt in front of the house the sense of peace waved through me. Manny set her hair free from the bun it was in and dark curls fell down to the middle of her back framing her face perfectly. Her hair bunched on her shoulders. I stared at her wishing I could take hold of her, but I have no right to her. I think that pisses me off more than anything else that has happened to me. My hands itched to touch her face. I wanted to sit with her and let her bring some order to chaos that is my world. However, she did not need to be involved in my messed up life. She deserves so much more.

            "Are you okay?" Manny asked catching me off guard. Shouldn't I be the one asking her that question?

            "Yea I'm fine." I replied quickly trying to analyze her face to see if it would tell me anything about what she was thinking. However, her hair was a curtain and she happily hid behind it.

            "Okay. Lets go see what my creep of a dad is doing." She smiled lightly I realized what she was doing and I was thankful for it. I followed closely behind her into the house. I am greatly intrigued by the girl who stands before me and maybe one day if the cards are in my favor I will get the chance to learn more about her.

            "Kid is that you. I've been experimenting in the kitchen come on in. By the way we have company." Her dad calls from the kitchen. She just looks at me shaking her head. Laughing, my hands find her waist and I push her forward slightly. She looks up at me her brown eyes containing an emotion I can't read.

            Her dad has on an apron and he's moving around the kitchen like a pro. On one of the stools I see Alexandra I think her name is. She looking at Manny pointedly and I just take in the scene before me.

Manny.

            "Dad I thought you said we have company."

            "Hey! I am company!" Lex said feign surrender.

            " You have been here enough times to lose the title "guest or company." I say shoving Lex off the barstool. She struggles a bit but then falls down a little. Lex doesn't go down without a fight. A slim arm wraps around my ankle pulling me down my body collides with the tiled floor and I all but yelp in pain.

            "Hey monkeys we actually have real company. Nile welcome to this zoo we like to call a home." Dad says pointing to Lex and I. Glancing at each other we began making monkey noises and picking at each others hair. Nile laughed softly to himself as my dad began throwing pieces of bread at us. Lex caught a piece in her mouth and threw her arms up in success. We all clapped loudly as a lighthearted air filled the room. Moments like this filled my heart and made me happy.

" Go get washed up or changed or whatever it is you guys need to do so we can eat." Dad said setting the table.

" Do you need help setting the table?" Nile asked dad quietly.