Sixty-Nine

Leah

You know watching a ton of movies and shows, you are bound to pick up on some necessary life skills. Like maybe cooking or learning how to build a birdhouse. Basic skills. But for me I picked up the art of being stealthy. After all those spy movies I watched, I knew I was bound to be a pro and what better way to test that out then using it to avoid Jace at all cost.

Yes, I was avoiding him.

After what happened last night I had no idea how to even face him. Those moments kept replaying in my head like a broken record. Every single touch and kiss. I felt heat raise to my cheeks from the thought.

I was currently standing behind a set of lockers trying to scope out my next move. So far this morning I was able to get to my locker, grab my books and make it through first period without getting caught by him. I wasn't sure if he was here yet.

I craned my neck forward to scan the hallway filled with students and I felt an aching feeling at the nape of my neck. I pressed my fingers to the side of my neck causing the aching pain to spread. I knew exactly what it was.

Jace had left a mark right at that spot. When I woke up this morning, there it was, a purple reddish colored mark right at the spot where my neck and shoulder meet. A freaking hickey.

Thank God for foundation and concealer. I tried to cover it up the best I could and I worn my hair down to help cover it up. I heard a few students whispering and snickering and I was curious what caused this kind of reaction. I let my eyes glance around the hallway until it landed on exactly the reason why.

I had to stifle a laugh. I couldn't risk bringing attention to myself. There walking down the hallway was Luke wearing a black shirt that had wording in the front of it.  Jace Emerson is my God, written in large white letters. When he turned around there was something also written on the back. And he whooped my ass in air hockey.

Luke shoot deadly glares at everyone who dared to laugh at him and that stopped them dead in their tracks. He inched closer to where I was hiding. I didn't notice that one specific person I was avoiding near him. Just as I was about to step out of my hiding spot and tease Luke on his shirt, that familiar voice rang clear in my ears.

"My name looks great on you." I heard Jace's voice say and I felt my heartbeat quicken. I peered off the side and saw them near, Jace had his arm wrapped around Luke's shoulders lazily. They were close, too close. "Maybe you should have gotten it tattooed instead.

"Fuck off." Luke said in deadly tone causing Jace to laugh. "I don't ever back down from a bet."

"Clearly." Jace said with amusement in his voice. They walked passed where I was hiding. I held my breathe praying they didn't look over to see me. Their eyes were trained ahead and when they passed me completely I let the breathe go. This is going to be harder then expected. 

"Why are you hiding?" A voice startled me from behind and I turned around to see Kayla looking at me curiously.

I smiled at her sheepishly. "I'm not hiding."

She rolled her eyes. "Leah, I know you better than you know yourself sometimes." That was true. We fell into an awkward silence. Kayla and I have never been awkward before. I wanted to talk to my best friend. I missed her.

"I'm sorry." We said in unison and our eyes widen at each other.

"Why are you sorry?" Kayla asked her eyes glanced down at the floor. "I'm the one who should be sorry. I should have been the supportive friend when you needed me. I was just scared that something could happen to you and I just wanted you safe. But I know that you need answers on your dad and everyone is intertwined now. So, I'm sorry and I promise I will be there every step of the way if you forgive me."