Chapter twenty eight

(for this chapter play Love you goodbye by one direction or Sorry by Halsey)

We're alive, both of us. Me & him.
Yet there's still something in his eyes that died. They seem so empty and far gone, and I don't know if he's shaken up from it all or if I did something wrong.

Landon pulled out his gun, and he pointed it straight at Bruno, I didn't hesitate before jumping in front of him. I was bound to a chair and I was hoping that the chair would make the bullet less lethal, at least if it went through it and if not it would still be worth it because I had to make sure he didn't die. He had already suffered enough.

The bullet didn't hit though, I understood why quickly when I opened my eyes and saw Pablo standing right behind Bruno with his gun pointed at Landon's direction. He managed to shoot Landon's shoulder, resulting in him losing the gun and missing. He managed to escape nevertheless but for right now it wasn't the main priority, the main priority was that we were alive and we were. Yet Bruno looks like he just saw someone die in front of him.

His eyes were blank, and his body went completely still – I checked him right away to make sure he wasn't hit. He looked like he had zoned out completely, he wasn't here anymore but he wouldn't let me in and show me where his mind had gone off too, until..

"You," he whispers, "you could've died."
He looks shaken up, and his breathing is unsteady almost as if I did die right in front of him.
"You were ready to die, and- and it was because of me, you almost died because of me."

It's been six hours since we managed to get out of there, Pablo and Luca came to the rescue with the rest of the men. They helped my team get out, and Daniel is already working to get them home. I've been with the guys, I refused to leave – I couldn't until I saw that Bruno was well. Of course, he wasn't though, his face was bruised, and blood was rushing down his mouth and nose, that combined with the torture he had to endure and the shock. He hasn't said a single word since we left the warehouse and went to one of their homes in Mexico.

"Is he still asleep?" I ask, holding the cold glass against my lip to soothe the pain.
Pablo gives me a light nod, "yes." He lets out a sigh, "I'm sorry we didn't come earlier we-"
"I know." I say, giving him a faint smile. It wasn't their fault; they came as fast as they could.

Luca enters the kitchen, throws one glance at me and rolls his eyes then he grabs his bottle of water and exits again without saying a word.
"I knew I should've kissed you instead." I mutter to Pablo, earning a half laugh.
"Don't mind him, he'll get over it some time, he's just acting like a child."
I sigh, "he's just looking out for his best friend, I don't blame him."

Luca is only being overprotective when it comes to Bruno, I already know that. I'm glad he is, although I'm not liking that he's giving me the cold shoulder – he does have a point though. Right now, I'm nothing but a spy and a liar in his eyes. A girl that misused his best friends trust.

"I wouldn't have.." I trail off, "I could've never hurt hi-"
"I know." Pablo finishes for me, giving me a reassuring smile. I was never close with Pablo, but over the years, both him and Luca have changed. I like the man he's become.

I stand up and head towards Bruno's room to make sure everything is good. He's been sleeping most of the time after we came here. The doctor said he needed to rest, and I'm glad he listened although I'm not sure he had much of a choice.

I open the door and make sure to be careful, so I don't wake him up. When I make my way to the chair next to his bed, I realize that he's woken up. He looks confused, messy and exhausted. Bruised.
"I just wanted to check up on you, do you need anything?" I ask, unsure of were we stand.
"I'm fine." He says with blank eyes and a monotone voice. Hint taken.
"Oh, uh." I guess he wants to be alone, "okay, I'll just leave you to rest then."