35

I sat and colored for a while, occupying my mind as best as I could. I had to admit that I was a little nervous for Colby.

He seemed to be confident about what was going on but I knew better than anyone that his confidence could be fake.

Colby was a master of disguise to everyone but me.

I knew that man inside and out whether or not he liked it. I knew that he didn't know his next move and that he didn't know what to expect.

Everyone else was just blinded by his assholiness.

Hours passed before the door was opening and Colby was walking in. "Did you forget about me?" I asked and continued coloring.

"What? No. Come on, I'm tired." Colby said as I looked up at him finally.

There wasn't any blood or anything on him so I assumed that things didn't go as planned.

"Was he not there?" I asked as I jutted his head, signaling for me to stand. "He was there." He said as I stood up.

"Your siblings are safe." He said as I grabbed my coloring book. "You checked on them? Did they recognize you?" I asked with maybe a little too much hope.

"I didn't check on them, Will did." He said blandly. "Oh. Well..thanks for checking on them." I said as we walked down the hallway.

"Yeah." Colby said simply. I could tell he was still stressed out about what was going on, but I knew he wouldn't talk to me about it.

In fact, I was the last person he would tell about this.

"Everything okay?" I asked as we got in the car. "I'm tired. I told you." He said as I nodded. "Got it." I said as he checked his surroundings intensely.

He was looking to see if someone was following or watching.

"Are we safe?" I asked as he groaned. "Enough with the questions, Julia!" Colby snapped as I clenched my jaw.

"Fucking dick." I grumbled and crossed my arms. "Yeah, I'm a fucking dick that you need to just leave alone. Stop fucking talking to me." He said with so much anger it made my heart jolt.

What the fuck happened?

Colby wasn't exclusively nice to me but he hasn't been this mean since we first met.

It frustrated me that he was acting like this, but it was maybe better this way.

The rest of the drive home was silent. I didn't want to argue with Colby and he was still stewing about whatever the hell he was mad about.

When we got back to the apartment Colby stopped at the door, holding his arm out.

"Wait." He said as I scrunched my brow. "Come on, Colby. I'm tired." I groaned as he pulled his gun out.

I flinched back at the weapon, watching as he raised it, going into the apartment.

Was someone here?

Colby walked around the apartment, his gun drawn. "Alright. Get to bed." He said and put the safety back on before putting his gun back into its holster.

I nodded, not wanting to argue with him. He clearly wasn't in a good mood and I wasn't going to be the one to make him blow up.

"Goodnight." I said quietly then went into the bedroom. "Goodnight, sweetheart." Colby mumbled so quietly I almost didn't hear it.

It was almost as if he didn't want to say it to begin with.

I didn't have the energy to look into it.