Fifty-Three

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

"I feel bad," I whisper to my dad as he shuts off the SUV Engine. We had just pulled into the driveway after making the agonizing five-hour drive. It was supposed to be seven, but since my dad drove it was five. We listened to Slater's game on the radio which meant that every time Slater fucked up, my dad hit the wheel like the five-year-old that he was at heart.

"Those are the first three words you've spoken this entire drive home." He teases as he throws open his door, stepping out and stretching. I unclick my seatbelt, following suit. He reached for the trunk, pulling out my suitcase and then his.

I reached for mine to pull it into the house, but he snatched it away.

I frowned.

He narrowed his eyes on me.

"What?" I asked.

"What's wrong? What happened?" He asked in a demanding tone.

I sighed, reaching for it again but he snatched it away this time picking it up and holding it over his head. He was such a show-off. My suitcase easily weighed fifty pounds and here he was, holding it over his head as if were a hat.

"Dad, come on!" I whined.

He shook his head. "What's wrong?"

I crossed my arms over my chest. "This is not fair."

He rolled his eyes, setting the suitcase down, he pushed it toward me. I smiled, as I collected it in my grip. A mischievous grin overtook his face. "You can have the suitcase, but where are you going to put it without a house key?" He pulled out the keys from his back pocket, dangling them in my face so they jingled.

I reached for them, but he ripped them away from my face and threw them up in the air, catching them above my head.

"You're a child."

"Who's your daddy?" He teased, shoving me a bit before taking off toward the house. He was the most annoying person I knew but that's how my dad was whenever he wanted to cheer me up. He was constantly up my ass, hugging me and shoving me. Buying me ice cream to stop me from crying.