aria

🧪 i have some song recs throughout the chapter, i suggest listening to them for a better reading experience. also wanted to add that from this point onward, the story is going to delve into many dark concepts and of course I will provide any necessary warnings beforehand.

Welcome to Stohess.

The sign was demanding to be seen, to be noticed. Little white birds were painted onto the green billboard. You always loathed birds, their black eyes that couldn't give away where they were looking or their pointy beaks they could use to attack with at any moment.

Hell, even pigeons terrified you. Seriously why weren't they scared of humans? Damn birds trotted around like they owned the place.

You ran your palms up and down your upper arms, pushing out a nervous breath of air from your mouth. You gaped at the scenery passing by, trigger after trigger pulling with each familiar mark of the land.

"I know I said I wasn't scared before, but I think I was a little overconfident," you muttered.

The windows were rolled up again because you told Eren you were cold, so he put the heat on for you too.

"Told you Mitski was gonna make you think about every depressing thing that's ever happened in your life," Eren said.

You shot him a look and he reaffirmed, "I'm messing with you. Look, I might not understand the feeling of losing a best friend the way you did, but I understand the guilt that comes with losing someone. You think that they weren't the ones that deserved to die, but reality is, it's out of everyone's hands."

You stayed quiet, shifting your mouth to the side a bit in anxiety.

"Going back is going to bring up a fuck ton of awful memories, I know. But I promise you, I'm by your side throughout the entire thing. You won't be alone," Eren assured.

He reached his hand out, clasping yours and giving it a gentle squeeze. You looked at him and pressed your lips in a pathetic smile.

"You still cold?" he asked.

You shook your head, "No."

His eyes quickly flicked down to your interlaced fingers, "Liar. Your hand is freezing. I'm gonna start keeping a blanket in the car now."

"For me?" you asked.

"No, for my Aunt Faye. Yes, you," he snapped humorously. You giggled at his joke and he looked over at you, "Awww, see? I missed that smile."

You looked away, trying not to make eye contact, "I was smiling up until five minutes ago."

"I think the beginning of the car ride was the most I've seen you smile ever," he jabbed, turning on his indicator to take the exit. "You're always emo."

"Me?!" you quizzed, pointing at yourself. "You're the one who never smiles. You must've been born crying."

Eren tossed you a ludicrous look, "Aren't all babies born crying?"

You paused.

He scoffed, "Yeesh, going back to your hometown is really messing with your head."

You folded your arms, leaning back into your seat, "Everything about Stohess stresses me out. You are going to find out once you meet my parents."

"Oh . . . by the way," he shifted in his seat, appearing tense. "Tell me what they're like. I mean on a normal basis with people that aren't family. Is your father smiley or serious? And your mom too? Is she going to chase me around with a stick?"

You started laughing, "Are you nervous to meet my parents?"

Eren scoffed, "No. They're just regular people."