Chapter 11

Friday 31st October, 1976

It was Halloween, October 31st, and Hogwarts was ready to party. There was a school event being held at the Great Hall, but I'd already heard about Sirius and James's plans to sneak fire whiskey into the punch. Usually these events only had one teacher overlooking it, so it wouldn't be too hard.

I begrudgingly got into my costume, glaring at the bright orange uniform belonging to the seeker of the Chudley Cannon's team, Jenny Flocks, in the mirror. I looked like an idiot and vowed to never wear quidditch robes ever again. How come everyone else looked good in them except me?

I sighed, exiting my dorm and meeting up with the marauders, Lily, Marlene, and Mary in the Common Room, all of them wearing the same uniform with Remus being the exception. There were only seven players on one quidditch team, and Remus had jumped at the chance of not dressing up. Lucky bastard.

James grinned when he saw me, lightly nudging my shoulder with his. I nudged him back, harder than necessary, but he just laughed. Together, we walked to the Great Hall, finding most of the school there, all of them dressed up in ridiculous costumes.

I looked around, noting the various pumpkins around the room and candles that seemed to glow eerily in the shadows around it. My gaze somehow landed on Regulus Black and I stopped dead when I noticed what he was wearing. He was dressed as the Kenmare Kestrels seeker, Leo Poisonwood, his friends all dressed up as other players from the team.

I would have laughed if I wasn't so horrified. The Kenmare Kestrels and Chudley Cannons were rival teams and had the most popular rivalry in all of quidditch. It just so happened that Jenny Flocks and Leo Poisonwood fell in love with each other and were one of the most known wizarding couples worldwide. They had even gotton engaged just a few months ago, and out of all the quidditch players in the world, Regulus had to choose the one currently engaged with mine.

Regulus's eyes found mine and widened when he noticed who I was, the realisation that we were dressed as a couple dawning on both of us. Just ignore him, the reasonable part of my mind said. Unfortunately I was never good at listening to that part of my brain.

I was already halfway across the room before I realised I was walking and had already arrived in front of Regulus when the thought that maybe I shouldn't be doing this had crossed my mind. It was too late now.

"Black," I said.

"Potter," Regulus answered, eyeing my costume with distaste.

I did the same, looking at him up and down in an attempt to find the flaws in his costume. The robes were emerald green with two yellow K's back-to-back on the chest, as the Kenmare Kestrels uniform usually was. The clothes fit him perfectly, subtly showing the outline of his muscles without giving too much away, and I wondered if this was what he looked like in his Slytherin quidditch robes.

Green definitely suited him.

"Enjoying the view?" Regulus asked, causing my eyes to snap back to his face where a smug smirk was resting.

I scoffed. "Not particularly. I mean, Leo Poisonwood, really?"

Regulus rolled his eyes. "Like Jenny Flocks is any better."

I didn't watch much quidditch, having no interest in the game, but I'd seen and heard enough to know that Jenny Flocks was a legend. Leo Poisonwood on the other hand, not so much.

"Please, she's way better than the Kestrel's seeker," I retorted.

Regulus snorted, shaking his head at my statement.

"No, she's definitely not. Poisonwood actually has skill. Flocks just slept her way to a position."

"Excuse me-"