Chapter 25- Just My Luck

It was finally here. That dreaded that everyone hates after a wonderful three-day weekend, or mostly wonderful weekend, Tuesday. I definitely could have used a few more days with the bad boy but I guess we can’t always have what we want, sadly.

But I suppose we will have plenty of other weekends and plus I had missed the girls. Even our sleepover wasn’t enough time to find out what everyone had been up to. I’m sure that was partly because we were cyber stalking my boyfriend’s ex girlfriend but still.

As I patiently wait for Olivia to arrive I sit bundled up on this brisk morning with my copy of The Hunger Games in hand reading about the adventures of Katniss and Peeta. I guess my Monday could be a lot worse. Right now it didn’t seem so bad.

The sound of tires traveling up the drive quickly notifies me of Olivia’s arrival. This is just not like her to be running late. She is always the prompt and ever so eager one to get to class. I can recall a time she freaked out on me for fifteen minutes because I made her wait on me while I found my jacket. Needless to say she was not happy about it and I didn’t care to witness that scene again. 

As I slip comfortably into front seat of the car I instantly take notice of Grace being absent. Ok this morning just keep getting weirder and weirder. First Olivia is late and then Grace doesn't carpool with us. Grace would never miss school and if she's ever going to miss her ride she texts mre or Olivia and she hadn't said anything to me. Grace wouldn't ruin her perfect attendance record.

"I know, I know., I'm late!" Olivia exclaims as she pulls away from the curb. 

“Where is Grace?” 

Olivia smirks and looks at me out of the corner of her eyes as we speed down the road. “She said she already had a ride and would meet us at school.”

I laughed. “You’re kidding?”

I bet this all had to do with whatever guy she was getting dressed up for yesterday. I have to figure out who this guy is. He must be something pretty special if she’s already accepting rides from him.

“Nope and I’m pretty sure it has to do with the mystery guy she's seeing,” she states.

I’m willing to bet on that.

“Maybe we should follow her after school and find out who it is,” I suggest.

She looks a bit regretful and shakes her head. “I can’t today, sorry. Thomas and I are supposed to meet after school.”

Thomas huh? That brings me back to the other night when I failed to hear the latest on those two. We were all too distracted about other things to talk about it. 

“So, how are things with the two of you?” I ask casually. 

She shrugs, her expression not giving anything away. “Fine, I guess.”

Not sure why, I feel a little disappointed by her lack of enthusiasm. I guess deep down I was hoping things were perfect between them and we'd both get married to best friends and live happily ever after.

"Fine," I say in disbelief. "That's it? That's all I get? Come on, there has to be more than that. You spend every waking moment with him. I can tell he really likes you.”

She smiles but it doesn't quite reach her eyes. I can tell she's making an effort. I feel myself start to panic a little and the protective best friend in me starts clawing her way out to reach her.

“What’s wrong?” I rush to ask. "Did Thomas do something to you. Shall we kill him? We could do it you know."

She laughs a little at me and shakes her head. “It’s nothing. It's not important.”