Chapter 63

TRIGGER WARNING:

suicidal thoughts.

I don't know if the stars have always been this bright

I don't know if the stars have always been this bright. Or this close.

Are they really close, or is it just me?

I don't bother sitting up to squint at the stars and try to reach them. Because I'll only get dizzy.

Glancing at the half-empty bottle of vodka next to me, I wince and push the bottle farther away from me.

The taste isn't quite something I like, but I needed something to get my mind off this. But even the alcohol hasn't helped with erasing Violet from my mind momentarily.

Even though I love Ares, I felt so suffocated in his arms and needed to get out. I needed to leave and get some fresh air.

And get drunk, apparently.

But now, I'm appreciating the world spinning around me.

I'm appreciating the wind on the roof blowing my hair in different directions and making my skin cold.

I came up to the roof to cancel out the noises in my head and welcome everything else from outside.

Taking my phone, I unlock it and go to my photo gallery, scrolling upward a bit and coming across random videos.

Clicking on one, I nestle myself deeper into the couch and hold the screen in front of my face.

My face mirrors Violet's smiling one. We're running over the streets, away from the gym and towards McDonald's on the opposite side of the street.

Violet tugged on my hand and hauled me into oncoming traffic, quickly crossing the streets to get some food seen as we were both starving after our workout.

Was it a smart decision to get fast food after that? No, but we couldn't care less.

Hearing Violet's laugh for the first time since her death makes my eyes burn, but I blink a few times and go to the next video.

I'm playing the guitar, making up some random song on the spot with words Violet is giving me.

"I just wanna..." I begin in the video and then Vi goes, "Bicycle!"

"I just wanna... ride my bike?" I laugh, continuing to play the guitar, "and uh... bike through the streets."

"You're supposed to be writing our album and you're coming up with this?" she snorts in the video.

"Oh hush, you're playing the guitar and I'm singing the lyrics, we make a great match so let me sing whatever I write," I retort and stick my tongue out at her.

I go through other videos, my gaze blurring often and not because of the tears but because of how wasted I am.

Another video shows us in Greece, on tour already. We're going to the hotel, on our way from the club where Ares and I had our little moment together on the dance floor.