Chapter Seven

Harper

Sofia helps me plan Holly's engagement party, or should I say she lets me do everything while she smiles politely at me.

Mr Marchetti scares me; I haven't spoken to him much. He's not a man of many words, but I know he's a dangerous man; I can tell from the look in his eyes. He hasn't done anything for me to think he'd hurt me far from it, actually, but I know I wouldn't want to get on his wrong side.

I haven't seen Enzo in a couple of days, which is weird. He's usually lurking in the corner somewhere. Instead, it's a new man, and he doesn't speak much.

I've spoken to Enzo on the phone a couple of times. I've used the phone he gave me, not the one my father gave me. As I have a feeling, he's put a bug in it to watch my every move. I know I sound paranoid, but it's something he would do.

"Are you excited to see your sister? It's been a little over four years. Hasn't it? Rome was the last time you saw her." Mr Marchetti says as he takes a seat next to me, making me jump.

He must have come looking for me as I've been sitting out here for the past two hours waiting for the sunset to happen. I always come out here to try to find a little piece. It's a shame such a beautiful place can be filled with such evil.

I turn to face him. A man filled with such power should be looked in the eye when spoken to. It's funny how I rather look at the floor to talk to my father than in the eyes.

"Not, really, is that bad? Does that make me a bad sister that I'm not excited to see her? The last time I saw her, she left me alone. I can't blame her. I wasn't meant to go there in the first place." I smile sadly at him; he returns it but doesn't say anything, so I carry on talking. Maybe he isn't as bad as I heard, as all the staff made him out to be.

"I don't know if you know, but Adriana isn't my mother; I don't know why I'm telling you this; maybe it's nice to tell someone else, but they all hate me for it. I didn't ask for any of this. I'm the black sheep of the family. I don't fit in here anymore, but they won't let me leave because of the family image. How messed up is that? And now I've put a target on everyone's back because a creepy old man has taken a liking to me, and I have a funny feeling my father is trying to marry me off. I heard him talking, and then he told me he wanted to speak to me after Holly's engagement about something important, and I knew this would be all Adriana's doing. I'm scared." I whisper the last part.

Here I am, opening myself up to a fucking druglord. What as the world come to. I can feel someone watching us, and when I finally look up, I see Enzo and Sofia.

I don't know what comes over me, but I jump up and run straight over to Enzo and wrap myself in his arms and sob. I finally let the tears fall. I never cry; they always well in my eyes but never fall. The last time I cried was three and a half years ago. I couldn't even cry when Doris died, and she was the only mother I knew. How fucked up is that.

"Shh, buttercup, I'm sorry I haven't been here. My brother needed me, but I'm here now." I cling to him a little longer, needing the feel of a friend. He's the only friend I've ever known; even when I got sent to a girls boarding school, I kept to myself; I wish I didn't because this feeling right now feels amazing, knowing I'm not alone.

"Are you ok, dear?" Sofia rubs my back. I sniffle into Enzo's shirt, getting snot everywhere. I can't even feel a little embarrassed about it.

"Yes, I'm so sorry. Mr Marchetti, I don't know why I unloaded all that onto you. I've been feeling a little lost lately when you asked me if I was excited to see Holly. Well, I guess I unloaded it all onto you." He stands and walks next to his wife, looking down at her like she's the only woman in this universe; I wish someone would look at me like that.