Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Kaisen

I slowly wiped up Lily's arm with the warm cloth as I had done now for several moons. Wiping through her fingers, I gently wiped over her palm before kissing her hand. She'd been unconscious since I got here several moons ago but the distressed look that crossed her face never came back. Her wound even healed up enough that all she needed was a few stitches. Sighing, I stared at my love for a second before dunking the cloth back into the warm soapy water while wringing it out. 

"I hope you'll wake up soon, my love." I mumbled while gently running the cloth along her cheeks and her neck. Even in her sleep, she was still beautiful. As I was about to wash the rest of her face, she slowly opened her eyes while staring at the ceiling. "My love?" I quietly called as she blinked a few times before her gaze shifted to me while tears filled her eyes. Quickly throwing the cloth aside, I helped her sit up as she wrapped her arm around me and started sobbing. I gently held her in my arms while rubbing her back. 

"I thought I'd never see you again." She quietly sobbed as the hoarseness in her voice didn't even bother me. I was just happy to hear her sweet voice again. "I missed you." 

"I missed you too, my love. I wasn't going anywhere." I smiled while kissing the top of her head as she started to calm down before sniffles filled the room. Slowly reaching over towards the bedside table, I pulled out a dry cloth before handing it over to Lily. "Here, you can blow your nose with this. Would you like something to drink?" I asked as she quietly nodded while hiding her face as she blew her nose. I quietly eased off the edge of the bed while walking over to the pitcher of water that Haimo left. Slowly pouring some water into the glass, I turned and made my way back to Lily before handing it to her as she quietly thanked me while chugging it down.

"How long have I…been asleep? What happened here?" She asked while looking around at the roots that were covering the walls, floor, and the ceiling. "Did I do this?" She questioned me as I nodded while sitting back down on the chair next to her.

"When you were bleeding out, your blood started growing roots wherever it touched. This room and the hallway have the most roots since you bled the most here." I explained as she slowly nodded while drinking some more water. "It's okay though. Your roots seem to be the only thing keeping this part of the Tiocraven tribe alive." As that sentence left my mouth, her head shot up at me.

"What do you mean, Kaisen? How long have I been unconscious?" She asked while slowly placing the glass on the side table before raising her hand towards the roots as they slowly moved towards her. 

"The same people that attacked you, also attacked the forest and both tribes. The Tiocraven Tribe hasn't had any casualties thanks to Haimo and the guards but our tribe has been hit the worst. Many of our people have been attacked just like you but our tribe leader had it the worst. He's no longer with us." I explained as she looked at me with surprise on her face before turning back to the root that hovered over her. Once she touched it, a horrified look filled her face as she slowly looked at me. 

"Everything is dying. What will happen to the tribes?" She asked as I slowly shook my head. 

"We'll have to relocate to a place that'll fit us but that's scarce here. They're having a meeting today to talk about it." 

"I want to go. I can probably see what I can do." She firmly stated with determination on her face as I gently smiled at her before kissing her forehead. 

"If you're feeling better, we can go. Haimo said he'll go as well, but if you start feeling bad, we'll leave." I added as she lept into my arms while wrapping her arms around me as I laughed at her excitement. "Oh Goddess, how I've missed you." I sighed while holding her tight against me as she laughed quietly. "Ahh, I never told you how long you've been asleep for. It's been about six moons since that incident." I hummed as she pulled back enough to look up at me with this incredulous look on her face. 

"I've been out of it for six days?? Makes sense why I was so thirsty." She quietly laughed while staring at me before she kissed me, running her hands through my hair as I sighed into our kiss. I am at home now. I thought to myself while gently pushing her back onto the bed as we pulled back enough to stare into each other's eyes. "I love you so much." She breathed while gently running her hand over my cheek as I kissed along her face.

"I love you too, my love." I smiled while kissing her again as she held me like I would disappear. 

[~~~]

As much as I wanted to keep Lily to myself, we had to get ready for the meeting and she needed to eat. Once she was ready and checked out by the healer, we made our way back to our house with one of my spare shirts wrapped around Lily as I held her in my arms. 

"You know, I'm surprised you're not fighting me to put you down." I quietly teased as we took the path back to our house while Lily stared up at me. 

"I would but it's a free ride." She smiled while looking up at me before laughing. "Plus, I love being in your arms." She mumbled while looking away as the tip of her ears grew red. "Ah, there's something else I wanted to tell you but I guess now is a good time." She quietly stated as I hummed in questioning as she looked up at me. "When I was unconscious, I met my mom again. She was the one who pulled me from my nightmare. She also told me that it was her who put this blessing on me so I'm able to meet her in that space where we were. But, as I was leaving, she told me to tell you that she gave her blessing." Lily explained while l looked down at her in surprise. "She didn't say it but I think she hopes to meet you one day. I'll keep practicing ways to meet her since the only way I currently know of is when I'm on the brink of death." She added as I nodded.

"I'll help you any way you need me." I smiled as she stared up at me with this loving look on her face. "I would absolutely love to meet your mother." I added as she smiled up at me before I hopped over the fence of our yard. Once we were inside, it didn't take long for Lily to get dressed in something comfortable which was a gray woven shirt made out of swooly wool and a pair of long dark blue pants. She grabbed a few of my hunting protein bars and we were on our way once she pulled on her short brown boots. "Are you sure you don't want me to carry you?" I asked worriedly as she walked alongside me while holding my hand. 

"My legs do feel a little weak. Would you carry me on your back?" She asked shyly as I smiled down at her while stopping before squatting down so she could climb on. 

"Of course, my love. Anything for you." I smiled back at her as she quietly giggled while carefully getting onto my back before I hauled her into the air. As she quietly yelped, I adjusted her so she'd be comfortable on my back. 

"Are you completely sure I'm not heavy?" She asked as I shook my head at her while being careful with my horns.

"No, my love. You're as light as a feather." I laughed while squeezing her thighs as she made an odd noise. Was that a moan? "You know, I've noticed how shy you've gotten since you woke up. And I want you to know that no matter what you do, you'll always be beautiful in my eyes, my love. I love all of you. From your grogginess in the morning to your crankiness when you're hungry. You're even cute when you blow your nose." I laughed as she gently hit my shoulders.

"Eww, don't say that. I was trying to be discreet by blowing my nose, mister." She laughed while gently wrapping her arm around my neck before leaning forward near my right ear. "Jeez, Kaisen. You make it so easy for me to fall in love with you. You're like a dream come true. I guess that's why I've been scared to truly tell you that I love you. I've been hurt before and I didn't want to repeat my past. I thought that I'd eventually wake up and it'd have all just been a dream." She confessed with a sigh as I gently shook my head.

"I won't ever leave you, my love. You're stuck with me." I quietly soothed as she laughed softly in my ear. 

"Same here, big guy."