Chapter 189: Talking to The Sun

"It looks like it's going to rain..." the Empress commented after a while.

We were just done talking about things that interested us and had just wrapped up the conversation.

I glanced up and hummed, noting down the change in the temperature. It was getting chilly.

"The sky is turning dark. I gotta leave before that happens," I said.

"You can stay, you know that, right?" The empress mentioned as she looked at me.

A smile appeared on my face, "Yes, but I don't want to impose."

"In that case, I will be taking my leave as well," said Janus.

I only threw him a glance as I stood up from my seat to fix my dress and so I can also leave. Janus had also stood up, towering beside me like the tree he is.

"Ah, I really want to talk more and get to know you better," the queen sighed as if she was really saddened. But I doubt it. Her eyes then flickered toward him– "The same with Lord Janus. It's such a rare occasion to be able to share a table and converse with you."

Janus's lips twisted into his version of a smile.

"There are still a lot of opportunities for that in the future, Madame."

"Very well, I will hold on to that thought," she uttered in delight, looking very pleased with his answer.

Charming a charming woman... You really got it this time Janus.

"Nadia, be careful on the way home," said the empress.

"Yes, Your Majesty," I replied, just to throw her off.

She immediately reacted, of course.

"Oh, you! I have told you time and time again..." and shook her head in a fake exasperation.

"If you'll excuse me, Your Majesty, Your highness... I will be leaving now. I look forward to next time."

I bid my last goodbye with the practiced curtsied I already perfected a long time ago and went on my way. For some reason though, Janus chose to join me for a walk instead of directly teleporting back to the tower like he normally does. He's literally beside me, matching my steps even. And you all know how women in big heavy-ass dresses walk, right?

We glide.

Anyways, I ignored him as I think to myself that he's probably just waking temporarily. You know, maybe he just wants to feel the breeze for a while, or admire the surroundings. And then he'll fly back to his tower afterward.

We finally reached the end of the bridge but Janus is still here, strolling beside me.

'What's he doing now?'

I glanced at the said magician who's two heads taller than me to inquire and immediately got sidetracked upon seeing an army of birds floating around the sky, circling over our heads. I almost reared back from shock when I saw the spectacle and that was when I noticed that there were birds everywhere.

"What the..."

Not just birds, no. There were some hares and other small animals that were scurrying about. Most of them were just curiously peeking their heads from nearby bushes and faraway trees. But it doesn't make it less strange.

Why are there animals here? What is happening now?

Is it because of me or is it because of the guy beside me? Is Janus attracting these things or is it the other way around? Which is which?

"They are just curious. They don't mean any harm but you should know that by now," declared Janus nonchalantly.

"Huh?" I turned to him with a confused expression.

"They are here because of you, right?" He repeated.

"I... I don't know...?" I grumbled and glanced at the animals again with a frown marring my face. "Are you sure it's not you?"

One fine brow lifted from that question.

"And why would it be me? Have you seen a lot of animals around my tower?" He retorted.

"Err..."

I can't seem to find my tongue to debunk him because I haven't been to his tower even once. So I had no way of knowing.

"Have you seen a lot of them when I was around before?" He asked again.

"Uhhmmm no," I muttered in all honesty.

There really weren't any from the rare occasions that I crossed paths with him, just now.

"How about you? Weren't there a lot of them hanging around you lately?"

Chewing my bottom lip, I muttered.

"That's... well, yeah–"

"There is your answer," he said, cutting me off.

I shut my mouth off right that instant because I can't retort anything back at that point. I mean, what he said makes a lot of sense. If it's not him then it's me. The strange gathering of animals had been happening to me as of late and I don't even know why.

There were just birds before but now, it seems that they are steadily growing in variation.

I peered at the darkened sky and shivered, feeling rather creeped out by how massive that number of birds are flying overhead.

Some of y'all are probably thinking, 'But don't you want a bird?'.

That's right. I wanted a bird.

Keyword, bird.

I only wanted one and not an army of them. Stop coming at me.

If you were in my shoes and saw this kind of thing, what would you think? Would you really feel happy seeing a lot of them? It's not even a lot at this point, it's a freaking mob.

With that eerie background of the darkening sky as they cawed repeatedly? Would you feel great?

The knights who were stationed at their posts were also as bewildered as me when they all noticed the tiny creatures loitering around, plus the birds. Don't forget the birds. They are the most eye-catching out of everything. It made a quite unsettling setting fit for a horror movie.

"Are you curious?" Janus then remarked, grabbing my attention back to him.

"Mm? Yes!" I exclaimed. Upon realizing what I just did, I got flustered and corrected myself, calmer this time– "Ahem, I mean yes, I am. I am very much curious." I then looked at him worriedly– "Am I... Am I cursed? Did someone curse me or something?"

I can't think of anything else to explain all these, you know.

'Wait– I think I'm forgetting something important here... But I can't really remember what it was. Oh gosh. What is it?'

"Cursed? Not in my watch," Janus replied with utmost certainty. "You are actually going into a change."