Chapter thirty four

(Song for this chapter is When you're ready by Shawn mendes)

"Amalie"
"Amalie?"
"Amalie!"

I snap out of my trance and look at Daniel and Sebastian,
"What is it?" I ask with an annoyed tone.
"We've been calling your name for five minutes, what has you so distracted?" Daniel exaggerates,
"Nothing, I'm tired." I lie, "we've been working for six hours with no break."

Sebastian and Daniel give each other a look then turn back to me.
"Six hours is nothing for you and you've been checking your phone every five minutes Amalie." Sebastian says, clearly not believing me.
"I said I'm fine." I repeat with a stronger tone, causing him to scowl.

"Daniel give us a minute."
"Ugh, alrig-"
"Don't." I counter, keeping my stare with Sebastian. He may be one of the best assassins and his ranking does give him some sort of power but not in my damn presence. "I'm not going to repeat myself Sebastian, don't question me again."

He lets out a humorless laugh, seeming annoyed but I'm not sure it's because of my lack of focus.
"Amalie, we're in New York for a mission – a mission that failed the first time and now you're doing the same mistakes, hanging yourself in silly affairs." Silly affairs, now I get why he's pissed. The same reason he lied to me and told me I got home by a cab.

I stand up from my seat, "I think you've gotten too comfortable Sebastian. My affairs are none of your concern, my private life and business is something I'd rather you stay out off – that's not a friendly advice it's a command." Fuck no if he thinks that because we've slept together he can talk to me like that, especially in front of the team.
"Everyone," I say turning around to our team, "We're done for the day. Wrap it up."

I walk towards the exit and hear Sebastian following in the background,
"Wait Amalie, I'm sorr-"
"Piss off." I say, slamming the door of the warehouse before he can follow further.

I walk to my motorcycle and check my phone one last time.
Me: Can we talk?

Bruno has still neither seen nor received the message. It's been at least eight hours since I was with Bella and Pablo.

"Damn it Bruno." I say under my breath, putting on my helmet and getting on the motorcycle.

***

I enter the building and five minutes later I'm in front of a door where I shouldn't be. The last time I was here I ended up feeling useless, mad, and stupid. Now here I am again, praying that I don't end up in the same situation as I press the doorbell.

Another three minutes pass by, no answer. I press the doorbell again, this time I hear something hitting the floor – confirming that someone's home. I know he isn't that petty, he doesn't even know that I'm behind the door so why isn't he opening?

"Fine, guess I'll just figure it out myself." I mutter, opening the keypad for his apartment. I scoff when I see that you need words instead of numbers, this could take forever.

"Bruno" I press on the key pad,
INCORRECT password – try again.
"HandsomeBruno" I press,
INCORRECT password – try again.
"Pussy"
INCORRECT password – try again in two minutes.

Fuck, what the hell could it be? I've already tried the things I was sure he would use.
"Okay come on now." I mutter.

"Xander" I press,
INCORRECT password – try again.
Damn it, I was sure about that one.
"Barszik" I press,
INCORRECT password – try again. You have one last time before system alarm goes off.
Fuck me then. I almost give up then my eyes land on the little texting, it was so little I barely read it,
Hint: Four letters - Smells good.