Chapter 12

Saturday 1st November, 1976

I woke up to the distinct smell of Regulus Black. I inhaled deeply, noting the strong scent of pine needles, the metallic, cold, smell of the expensive cologne that always seems to surround him, and the faint tinge of mint.

I sighed, content, as I pressed my head closer against the pillow that smelt so much like Regulus it was as if he'd slept there. The smell of him was so comforting, the reason why beyond me, and I would have stayed there for much longer if not for the headache that started throbbing the second I'd gained consciousness.

I frowned, wondering why my head felt like it was splitting open, when the memories of last night surfaced, namely Regulus dressed up as Leo Poisonwood and the rage that fact brought along with it. I also recalled walking along the hallways with him, alone. I tried remembering what happened after that, but it was hard when half my mind was occupied by the pain in my head and the other part was begging to fall back asleep to smell of Regulus.

I bolted upright, immediately regretting the action as the pounding in my head increased. I winced, letting out a quiet hiss, and opened my eyes slowly so they could adjust to the light of the room. I looked around, my gaze landing on Regulus as he sat on one of his friend's beds, a book in hand. His head was bent as his eyes roamed the pages of his book, his hair covering part of his face.

So there had been a reason I could smell Regulus Black; I had slept in his bed. I had slept in Regulus Black's bed. I was currently sitting in Regulus Black's bed with said boy mere metres away from me.

At my sudden movement he looked up, our eyes meeting for one startling second before I looked away, feeling my body heat up. I'd been so drunk last night, and while I couldn't remember all of the details of the night, I remembered enough to know that I had been a pain in the ass.

I looked down, noting the clothes I was wearing, relief washing through me. We hadn't hooked up, at least. So why was I in his bed? I cleared my throat, forcing myself to look at the raven haired boy next to me.

"Um, why am I here?" I asked somewhat hesitantly.

"You were really drunk and refused to give me the password to the Gryffindor Common Room, so I brought you here," Regulus explained shortly, eyes darting back to his book as soon as he finished speaking.

I frowned at his words, ignoring the stabbing pain in my head. He'd brought me to the Gryffindor Tower? And when I didn't give him the password, he had dragged me here and let me sleep in his bed? Why? It didn't make any sense, since he hated me, for him to help me.

"Why did you help me?" I asked, voicing my thoughts.

Regulus scoffed, snapping his book shut and glaring at me like the question alone offended him. I raised my eyebrows at his reaction and his scowl deepened.

"I helped you because I'm a decent human being," he snapped. "I'm not going to just leave a drunk girl alone and defenceless in a room full of drunk, hormonal teenagers."

I blinked, caught off guard by his answer. I hadn't really thought about it like that. The thought of Regulus looking out for me, being a decent person and helping me, made me feel strangely warm. It didn't help that he called what he did decent behaviour and not something I needed to repay him for.

"Oh, um, okay. Thanks, I guess..." I said lamely, unable to think of a good reply. I blamed it on the pounding headache I had.

"You should probably go before my dormmates come back," was Regulus's reply.

I nodded my head, getting out of Regulus's bed almost reluctantly. His scent still stayed with me but was much fainter. I found my wand in my pocket and cast a disillusionment charm on myself, heading to the door when I heard Regulus snicker.