No Regrets with Walnut Kheer

Bondita's POV

"I repeat no one shall move an inch from here." Roared Pati babu with the firing of british officer Robert Atkins's pistol up in the air.

Radhashonkor (hastily) - You all dont worry. Burn down the stage. Just burn burn down.

"Nnnnooooo..... Ssstttoooooppppp" I and batuk tried stopping the man from proceeding but to no avail as the other man sprinkled kerosene and threw a fire torch upon the small stage of our dream turned reality. A continuous flow of hot tears rolled down our cheeks as myself and my friends including a sobbing Pawan watched helplessly and coughed struggling with the dense smoke widespread in the entire area around us by now. Helping the women escape from the other end of the ground, Pati babu and kaaka returned with their men as the superintendent officer's aides ran behind Sarpanch kaaka's notorious men to catch them in their hold.

Robert (announcing in a mic) - Everyone here, stop panicking.......(signaling his officers in aide to go arrest the Sarpanch) This is the final warning from our end, Sarpanch Radhashonkor and his men to surrender themselves and co-operate with the police.

Radhashonkor (yelling angrily) - Hey Daroga babu, this girl and her husband are meddling with our ancient tradition and customs, they are infiltrating the innocent minds of our women and children. You.....stay away from all this. Do not intervene in our matters, its my village and I have the complete authority to maintain the peace and stability of our society.

Anirudh (in a steadfast voice) - Radhashonkor babu, you might be the sarpanch of this Tulsipur village, elected by polling and joint opinion of all the village residents. It simply means you had been appointed to look after the maintenance and creation of basic civic amenities and infrastructure of our village which you did not do at all. Neither did you build separate sanitation facilities for the welfare of women and children neither do you let us take the initiative to raise awareness among our female population! on the contrary you allege us to disturb the peace and stability here!! You are Mukhiya, a decision-maker, elected by the village-level constitutional body of local self-government, do not act as a watch dog and dictate the private lives of the the women here anymore. You are not appointed for that.

Radhashonkor (with fuming eyes) - Ay barrister! dare not lecture me on my duties.....what do you know of our customs and traditions? You have been raised in west where women dance around men forgetting their prestige and limit. This is not your london and dont even think of enforcing your ideals upon us. Take away your wife. She turned this boy of a reputed family into an eunuch. Look at him! Did you ever think what effect it would have on our son and daughters? No right? you are just obsessed with your hollow principles that targets our rich customs and traditions which teaches our women to stay in limits and focus on their family only. what's wrong in it.

Robert Atkinson- Barrister babu will tell you all about it in detail.....but first you need to come with us. Here is the arrest warrant for you and your men.

"No.....no......Daaroga babu.......please forgive him" Purnima kaaki ran on to the officer's feet and pleaded for mercy of her husband.

"Kaaki" I walked towards her slowly and held her by her shoulders as she raised up her head with tearful eyes.

Purnima kaaki (clutching my palms) - Ayi ma, bojha na eder (please explain to them) please ask them to spare my husband for this time atleast. Don't let them take him. What will come of me without him?

"Kaaki" drawing a deep sigh I spoke "Kaaki kandben na (please do not cry) you have helped me a lot in implementation of our initiative. I understand your condition kaaki.... but..."