Split Ends

"My love," The Dark Lord began, "I have existed for nearly twenty-thousand years, there was never a scenario in which you would change my mind in one mere year."

Bilbo frowned and opened his mouth to say something, but Sauron put a finger on his lips to stop him.

"But, I am satisfied with what territories I have already conquered." Mairon added, "Running half of Middle Earth is extremely time consuming, I would have no time for the other half. I will give trying to make what is now mine perfect a fair chance before reconsidering destruction."

The maia then found himself tackled into a hug, the hobbit sitting on his lap, "Thank you."

Sauron said nothing in reply, resting his head atop Bilbo's, pressing his lips to the blond curls but not kissing his head, oddly finding himself reminded of a story he had overheard while living with Bilbo in the Shire: that the strangeness in Took blood was to be blamed on faerie blood from some old Took that had a faerie wife.

'Faerie' was an old term for elf that men and hobbits used ages ago, so it was very possible that Bilbo had a drop of elvish blood; it would explain why he smelled of starlight.

***

The following afternoon, Bilbo had decided that they still had a couple of courting traditions left that they could do, so that is how they found themselves in Sauron's private quarters.

It was a lot plainer than Bilbo had expected, completely utilitarian -though, if asked, he would not be able to answer what he had expected.

A large bed -easily large enough for four grown hobbits to lay side-by-side and not touch- was against the center back wall, covered in black silk sheets with feather pillows and a headboard that resembled the design of the thrones with a bedside table on either side.

Across from the bed was not quite a balcony, but rather a cut-out of the wall with a railing that gave a perfect view of the capital below and the bridge by the city-gate.

There was a dark-stained wooden desk along another wall, perfectly organized with a few papers on it and writing equipment.

In a corner there was a wooden bookshelf, which was filled with books in a language he could not read.

The floor was grey marble, but there was a furred rug on either side of the bed so one did not immediately get their feet cold when they sat up.

There was another door that presumably led to the bathing quarters/dressing room, but besides that, there was nothing else in the room.

"It is not much." Sauron agreed, even though Bilbo had not voiced his thoughts, "I do not spend much time here, nor do I ever have any guests here, so I have never seen a reason to decorate."

"You could liven the space up fairly easily, a painting or wall hanging could add a nice pop of color." Bilbo said, not wanting to sour the great mood they were in, "Where do you keep your hairbrush?"

"There is a vanity in the other room." The Dark Lord replied

Bilbo entered the room, seeing a large porcelain tub in the corner that was larger than any other he had ever seen -and it had plumbing, which was a rarity in Middle-Earth (he had learned when it was so common in the Shire due to their proximity to rivers)-; a wooden wardrobe on the wall closest to him.

On the opposing wall was the vanity in question that held a metal comb, a few black ribbons to tie the maia's hair back, a fairly large jewelry box and a folded black lace veil on top.

The jewelry box was mostly empty, holding a few bracelets and hair cuffs as well as a brooch that resembled the Eye, but in the center there was the box holding Celebrimbor's engagement ring for Annatar.

Closing the box he instead picked up the comb and returned to the bedroom and found Sauron sitting on the edge of the bed so he sat behind him.

Sitting cross legged, Bilbo removed the maia's crown and hair cuffs, setting them beside him, before taking the silvery blond locks and bringing it all to the back.

Sauron's silky hair was incredibly long, reaching his upper-thigh, but Bilbo was determined to brush it -not that it needed it though, there was not a single tangle to be found.

It was the thought that counted in all honesty, it was tradition in the Shire -likely taken from the dwarves but that is a whole other story- for couples to style each other's hair to show how you could take care of one another.

There were many times where he had seen hobbit lasses show off badly-styled hair at celebrations because it was styled by their intended, so he really could not mess up when the maia's hair was being so agreeable.

But, Bilbo also knew the Dark Lord was a creature of habit, so he would not deviate very far from the way he usually kept his hair -with most of it in the back with just a bit brought to the front on either side of his face with a cuff a piece to keep it out of his vision.

Once it was sectioned out in the way it typically was, he made a loose braid in the back.

"There." Bilbo said after putting the cuffs back in place, "I hope you like it."

"I do." Mairon confirmed, "It was nice, having you brush my hair, no one has ever touched my hair before."

The hobbit was shocked, "No one?"

"Ever." He affirmed, tying his blindfold over his eyes, careful to not mess with his new hairstyle, "I never understood the habit most Secondborn nobles take having servants tend to them, but I liked this."

***

Frodo Baggins was surrounded by oddities, if you asked him, but he did not really mind it.

Ever since his parents died boating, he knew Uncle Bilbo had been taking care of him, he just could not remember when they left the Shire to join Uncle Mairon in Mordor.

He had asked Sam about it, but he could not remember either, just saying something vague about remembering the Nine bringing them here from somewhere hot.

The brunet also felt a weird longing for Uncle Mairon's ring whenever he visited, but that had slowly faded away over time, especially after he had given him a gold anklet that was as thin as thread but stronger than rope.

"Gold from Valinor." The maia had said to Uncle Bilbo when giving the anklet to the faunt, "Known for being purifying."

Frodo did not know why he needed a purifying anklet, but he did know it was rude to not wear a gift so he did.

Last night when tucking him in, Uncle Bilbo had asked for his opinion on him marrying Uncle Mairon, to which the faunt had been surprised and said, "You aren't married already?"

"No, not yet." Bilbo replied, "But I will be soon."

The brunet yawned, "Yay, wedding cake is the yummiest cake of all."

As he had slipped into dreamland, he had heard his uncles talking, but he did not hear what they said.