Chapter 52

You know me. I never make the greatest decisions. That's a bit obvious, isn't it? After all, some part of me decided it was perfectly okay to go after a crime boss and then jump off the roof of a fifty floored building with another crime boss that I confessed my love to. So yes, I don't have the best history in decision-making. Not that I ever did. I mean, look at where I was now.

If you don't know the answer to where I was, fear not. I'll give you the answer anyways. Right now, I was standing in an elevator with a man who may or may not have been working for the man who killed my parents.

But hey, no need to jump to conclusions. Because jumping to conclusions often ended with me jumping off roofs, but never mind that. Maybe the white paint on his earlobe wasn't even paint. Maybe it was bird poop. Maybe a bird pooped on him and it unceremoniously landed on his ear. Or maybe he was having sex in his office and a bottle of white-out spilled and dabbed his ear. Office sex can get crazy, who knows.

Maybe this man was an innocent stranger who I'd never met before.

Or maybe he was one of the clowns who worked for Romeo.

I had to find out. My pent up anger would only give me a temper as dangerous as Cage's. And we all knew the kind of temper he had. It seemed as though every time Cage lost his composure, someone always ended up hurt. He should go to anger management classes. Maybe if I saw Cage again, (if I ever saw him again, that is) I could sign him up for some. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

As we neared the first floor, I had a little moment of panic.

As subtly as I could, (nothing was ever really subtly when you're in such an enclosed personal space like an elevator) I sidled up to the man. Staring straight ahead, I flicked the little latch of his briefcase so that it opened and the contents went spilling out.

The elevator dinged and the doors opened.

"Oh, shit." The man cursed, noticing the contents of his briefcase had fallen out.

I looked down.

Amongst papers and manilla folders lay a gun. On top of that gun was a picture of a candid shot of Cage and I together. It was of when we had been in the Alberta carnival. In the photograph, my back was turned so I couldn't see my face, but Cage's was clear. He had his mouth open, like he was saying something. The picture seemed to be taken at an angle from someone who was hiding behind what appeared to be a pole of some sorts. In red marker, Cage's face was circled.

And besides that photograph was a wig...with all the colours of a rainbow.

"Oh shit is right." I nodded in all seriousness.

And then I punched him in the face.

I mean, I didn't exactly get that fist to face connection that I was hoping for but I didn't miss either. I think the man might have moved back a bit while my fist was flying towards him that I all but caught the tip of his nose with my thumb. It was like a gentle boop, one that was the complete opposite of what I was going for. Man, I really needed to practice on a punching bag or something. If I was going to constantly find myself in a situation where I needed to punch people, then I'd better do it right.

"I've waited long enough-" Rainbow Clown without the rainbow hair growled. He bent down and picked up his gun. At this point, I was freaking out. Backing out slowly from the elevator, I searched desperately for something to whack him with. "-to kill you. Enough of this bullshit. Dead bitch walking. Romeo can't wait to see you again."

I punched him again, and this time, my fist made solid contact with his face. I was so proud of myself. Cage would've been too...if he was here to see it. But, as always, he wasn't. He never was when I needed him. Funny how that worked, huh? Cage Vickers perfected the art of disappearance like no one else.

He wasn't expecting it. Before Rainbow Clown could regain his composure, I dashed out the elevator and made a beeline for the door. I could see a couple of people stare at me as I ran past, but I didn't care.

I darted out the door and almost ran into a woman wearing pink.

And who else would it be? With my history concerning luck, you probably already know the answer. It was none other than Dr. Fritz with the stethoscope and good good for an answer.

She wasn't alone. Two officers stood behind her next to a Chicago police cruiser parked next to the sidewalk. One had a mustache that looked like it probably tickled his nose and the other was a woman with greying hair.

Dr. Fritz looked shocked. I think I had a similar look on my face.

A distant muffling noise came from behind us. I turned to see Rainbow Clown pushing people out of the way angrily, waving his gun to impose a threat. He was making his way to the door. In an instant, the police officers were on alert. The woman officer was fumbling for her radio.

Dr. Fritz reached out for me. "November, what are you doing out-"

I couldn't wait this one out, as bad as I felt. And as illegal as this probably was, it had to be done. Without waiting for things to escalate, I darted around Dr. Fritz's confused ramblings and past the officers who were now busy trying to call for backup. They were too busy in what Rainbow Clown was doing to notice me anymore, which helped make what I was about to do a bit easier.

Bolting around the police car, I pulled open the door and slipped inside.

The keys were still in the ignition. The passenger seat had a gun sitting on it and the backseat was cluttered with all kinds of things. They even had that cool barred window that separated the backseat from the front seats. The dashboard had all types of technology attached to it. On the screen of the laptop was the same picture of Cage and I at the Alberta carnival, the one that Rainbow Clown had in his briefcase.

With a prayer to the stars above, I gripped the gear shift and switched it from Neutral to Drive.

The officers turned just as Rainbow Clown shoved his way out the door. He ignored everyone's gasping and sudden shouts and pointed his gun to where I sat. Without another moment of contemplating what the hell I was doing, I pulled out of the pathway and onto the road as the commotion behind me began.

Suddenly, a sharp bang seemed to erupt the side of the car. I winced as Rainbow Clown got in one good shot before the officers took over as I drove away. He was kinda stupid, really. Trying to shoot someone in front of the cops? Ha, what an amateur move.

Never mind the fact that I just stole a police car.