Legacy - Part 27

One hundred-two

We decide to catch an early movie and have dinner afterward.

As we pull away from the curb of the bed and breakfast we've lived in for the past couple of months, I put a hand over Adagio's and ask him to stop.

"What is it, amore?"

"Look," I say pointing to a girl entering a large house three doors down.

He follows my gaze. "That is the young woman from the mall," he states more than asks.

"It is," I say with a smile. "I have thought about her a lot this past week. There is just something about her that has kept her on my mind."

"With all the time we have lived in this neighborhood, I can't believe we haven't seen her before now," Adagio says.

"I can't either."

Squeezing my hand, he starts the car and moves forward a little, stopping in front of the large rooming house. He turns off the engine and we sit for a moment, staring up at the house. The place looks like another bed and breakfast. It is well kept and the yard is lovely.

"Let's go inside," I say.

"We will probably have to knock on a few doors to find the right room," Adagio says, opening the door for me. "And we don't even know her name."

"I do," I say, smiling.

His eyes widen in surprise. "How?"

"A couple of days after the incident I called the mall and asked about her. They couldn't give me any other information, but they did give me her first name."

Adagio smiles and squeezes my hand. "You are amazing, you know that?"

"No more than you, my love."

We enter the building and knock on several doors but get no answer. We walk up to the second floor. Two more doors are unanswered. I knock on the next door twice and am about to move on to another when I hear the clicking of the lock. The the door is cracked open slightly and I quickly smile.

 * * * 

Andrea stares blankly at the two older people. "Yeah?" she says, wondering what they want.

"I don't know if you remember us, but we met you at the mall last week. Some teens were giving you a hard time while you were working, and my husband and I stopped to help you."

"Yeah, I do," she says warily. Suspicion fill her eyes. "How did you find out where I lived? You follow me home or something?"

Cisely again smiles, shaking her head. "It just so happens we have been staying at the bed and breakfast down the street from your building and saw you when you came home."

Andrea continues to stare at them, still wondering what they want.

"My name is Cisely St. John." She pulls Adagio within Andrea's view. "And this is my husband, Adagio. We live in Italy and have been visiting here for the past few months. We wanted to formally meet you and let you know we were thinking about you."

Andrea doesn't know what to say. This is something new for her. Even hearing the words, "we were thinking about you" is foreign. "I'm Andrea," she finally says.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Andrea," Adagio says.

Andrea is again taken aback by their kindness, almost as much as she was the day they stopped to help her. She leans her head against the door and sighs. "I can't tell you how many times stuff like that has happened." She looks into Cisely's eyes. "You were the first people who ever tried to help." She opens the door wider, her eyes softening. "You can come in if you want."