Chapter Twelve

Harper

You're set to marry in six weeks' time. That's all I hear for the rest of the night. I blank the shouting of Matteo and my father fighting.

I don't want to listen to it; my life is ruined. I should have run a long time ago. I'll never forgive myself for being trapped.

I already know Adriana will be happy that I'm being sent away. She never wanted me in the first place. I haven't a clue why my dad didn't just abandon me. He should have. I think about my birth mum. Where is she? I know she's a whore, but is she alive, or is she dead in a ditch somewhere?

All I knew is my father had met her away on business. He hired her to screw him. Eww. I don't want to think of that.

"Harper, are you fucking listening." My cold dead eyes meet my father's. "What? What is it you want from me? For fuck sake, will you just tell me because I am so fucking tired of playing the sad little daughter that no one gives a fuck about."

My mouth hangs open. Did I say that out loud? Holyshit. Oh well, my life is over as we speak anyway.

"What did you just say?" Adriana says, taken back that I've gotten a backbone in the last couple of hours because that's how long I've sat here without saying a word whilst they've all spoken about my fucking life. About my future!

"You heard me, mother." I smile sweetly at her. "I will say this once and once only. I am not marrying anyone. Where in 2022, for fucks sake! Not 1800!! What the hell has this world come to? You're meant to love me. I don't understand what I ever did wrong to any of you for you to hate me. All I ever wanted was for all of you to love me! If you can't do that, then please let me go. I'm begging you. Let me leave with Enzo.  You've already taken so much away from me. Don't take this away from me."

I can see Matteo is ready to fight my corner. I see it in his eye, and it kills me that I'm going to be leaving him behind, but I can't stay. There is no way in hell I am staying.

"Love you? You ruined this family! We were perfect before you came along and your whore of a mother!" My eyes snap to Holly's. There's so much hate shining through her eyes at me. She truly hates me.

"Holly, you were never the perfect family if dad was sticking his cock in anything other than you're bitch of a mother." Enzo shakes with laughter next to me at my words.

The next thing I know, Holly is on me. She doesn't get far before Matteo pulls her off me. "Touch her again, and I'll break your fucking neck." Holly's eyes widen.

"I'm going to be your wife! Not her!" Now she knows what it feels like to be not wanted! I hope she soaks it up.

"I've watched you treat Harper like shit since the moment I met her. Every single one of you. Get your act together."

She rolls her eye but doesn't say anything else, but I'm not done; I'm far from done. I have so much to say, and it's about time.

"Why didn't you let me see my baby? Why didn't you let me say goodbye? You treated me like shit ever since I was a little girl, but that was a low even for you. That baby was mine! Not yours, and you had no right to take it away from me. I didn't get to say goodbye." My father, Holly and Adriana all have blank faces as they look at me.

Not one of them cares. Why don't they feel an ounce of shame? "That baby should never have been yours in the first place! You stupid whore! The reason mum didn't let you see it was because she wanted you always to wonder what it would look like, and that would hurt a hell of a lot more than seeing it."