Chapter forty two

Three hours,
It's been three hours since we found Alexa by the door almost completely passed out.

These entire three hours after she woke up, she's been with Bruno. They're still upstairs in her room, she refuses to talk to anyone except him. I understand that  he's the closest person she has here, and that she seemed very shaken up when she woke up – like she couldn't believe that she was here, with us.

Yet I can't help the small pit in my stomach – call it jealousy, or whatever. I know they have history, a lot of it that me and him don't share. She's known him since he was a teenager, she's been there for most parts of his journey on becoming the man he is today.

"I'm still confused, tell me again who this Alexa is?" Bella asks, shifting in her seat. Luca and Pablo have been trying to talk with them, but the door is closed, and they didn't want to cause her more stress. Bruno said something to them in Spanish and they've been on their computers ever since then.

"She's Bruno's childhood friend. She's also the only girl in their gang, she's been in it since Xander took over the gang after his father passed away." I give her the short version.
I don't know Alexa that well, but the parts I saw of her when I met her did not make a good impression. She was obsessed with Xander, even when he was with Luna.

Luna used to tell me that Alexa wasn't a bad person, that she was just very insecure and reckless but she had her good sides too and that Xander trusted her for a reason. I'm sure she's right, but she also always focused on the best in people, I'm quite the opposite. The only good part of Alexa I saw was when she took care of Luna when she got sick. She didn't stay for long though, It got too much for her - seeing Luna like that.

"And we don't like her?" Bella asks,
"I didn't say that!" I say, I mean... I don't. But I won't make it clear unless I must.
"You didn't have to, your face told me everything I needed to know when you saw her with Bruno."
I sigh, there's no running away from that. "They just, they have some history."

Bella puts her phone down and gives me her complete attention.
"History? They fucked?" A small growl from Pablo catches our attention as he throws a glance at us, Bella rolls her eyes – "slept together, I mean."
"God no – or I don't know, I'm not sure." I say, we haven't really talked about this. "He just, he used to like her."
"Oh.." Bella says, "so we really don't like her."

Pablo stands up from his seat for the first time in three hours, and heads towards us.
"You are both going to be nice to her, she's distressed and for Alexa Puerto to look like that, something really bad must have happened so stop acting like children and start behaving." He takes a seat next to Bella and places her on his lap, "especially you little brat."
"If you insist." She rolls her eyes. 

Pablo's attention turns to me, "Whatever Bruno felt for Alexa is in the past. He cares about her a lot, because she's been there for him through tough times but that's all it is. An old important friendship."

I hate that as a grown woman I still need that confirmation, yet I can't lie – hearing Pablo say that, does make it a little better.

A door opens from upstairs, and soon enough Bruno comes into the picture. He looks tired, frustrated and mad. He doesn't look at us, or me. Instead, he just says - "Luca and Pablo, kitchen, now." And disappears into the kitchen.

They both follow him shortly, Bella huffs when Pablo has to leave again and then she turns to me with a smile, "should we eavesdrop?"

"No." I say, if we get caught, we'll look bad and it would be embarrassing. Plus, it sounds private.
"Come on, I know you want too!" I do, but I don't want to push unless Bruno wants to speak himself.
"No."