Wedding Showers

Despite the fact that there would be no grand ceremony taking place, word had spread through Barad-dûr like fire on a field of dry grass that Lord Sauron was about to get married.

Quite a few people had had the chance to meet Consort-to-be Bilbo and the majority of them would say that they eagerly awaited the good news of the confirmed nuptials; but none would say that the true reason they wanted the marriage sealed was for their own reasons: the fact Bilbo Baggins was very kind -vendors in the market even said when he visited, the would try to give him whatever he wanted for free but he would always pay at least thrice the price for anything- and that meant there would be someone high ranking looking out for them.

During the entire day of the event, there was a feast held in the main plaza for citizen morale that neither of the grooms attended, with those who did attend coming and going throughout the day.

Though, it was not to say the two getting married were not at all seen that day.

***

Bilbo walked with his fiancé through the maze like streets of the city fortress, walking through the market where he heard many well wishes and offers of congratulations, when he suddenly paused when he felt something touch his shoulder.

Reaching to touch said shoulder, he was shocked when his fingertips returned moistened.

That was when he was touched again, this time right on top of his head, and it dawned upon him: it was raining.

He had lived in Mordor for just under a year and a half, but this was the first time he had seen any weather that was not humid and clear -or windy, especially in the flatlands.

Looking to Mairon, who was examining a droplet that had fallen in his palm, it became clear that he was not causing the change in weather.

"It is not acidic, there is no need for concern." The Maia said

Bilbo's right eyebrow rose, "Rain can be acidic?"

"Yes, another of Orodruin's unfortunate side effects." Sauron nodded, "Occasionally when the volcano is particularly gaseous it causes corrosive rain beyond my control. It is not harmful in small quantities, even on the skin, but it does cause the infrastructure to corrode over time. Though, it rarely ever happens, even more more so than it ever rains generally"

"Well, I will take it as a good sign then." The hobbit hummed, "It is always good luck for it to rain on wedding days."

"I have always heard the opposite." Mairon commented as they laced their hands together

"Maybe for the Big Folk, but rainy days are good days in the Shire: good for crops, it makes the mushrooms spring up, and the worms come out from the soil for fishing." Bilbo explained, "And a rainy wedding is said to result in a happy marriage, that the raindrops represent the last tears the couple will ever shed."

They then arrived at Bilbo's greenhouse, where the hobbit collected the required flowers needed for a proper hobbit wedding: daffodils for new beginnings, lavender for devotion, and of course, peonies for a happy marriage.

***

It was just past dinner but still before supper when they decided it was time for the ceremony which they were performing in the Dark Lord's quarters for the offered privacy and space.

Bilbo fashioned the collected flowers into bracelets and anklets for them both in addition to the matching flower crowns.

"For my people, marriages are much simpler than those of other races." Mairon explained, pulling a long silk ribbon the color of blood from the bedside table, "There is no celebration, no officiant, merely the pair wishing to be wed and a strip of cloth. While it is a straightforward ceremony, it is irreversible -there is no divorce- our fëa will be bound eternally, not even death will separate the bond; you still have the chance to refuse before it is too late."

Bilbo shook his head, "I want to marry you."

The maia gave a soft smile before he wrapped one end of the ribbon around his right palm, presenting the other end to the hobbit so he could do the same, "Now just repeat what I say."

Mairon said something in a language Bilbo did not even begin to understand, the only comparison was that it was audible starlight -ethereal beyond words.

Bilbo did his best to copy what Sauron had said, watching as a glimmering strand of golden energy connected them, using the red silk as a guide before climbing up their fingers and veins all the way back to their hearts.

"What language was that?" The writer asked, "What did we say?"

"Valarin, the language of the Ainur." Mairon answered, undoing their ribbons once the gold string faded away, "The Westron translation is: I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

"I do not feel any different." Bilbo admitted, his fingers tracing where the thread of magic had been on his arm

"That is not surprising, mortals are only aware of the Hröa and not the Fëa within. I feel our connection, stronger than mithril and more encompassing than the Void." Sauron assured

He than cupped Bilbo's face, kissing his lips; and, for the first time, Bilbo kissed back.

When they parted, the maia traced his thumb on his partner's lips, "Now, my consort, would you be amenable to partaking in the consummation of our union?"

***

They lay in the large bed hours later as the morning began, Bilbo's head resting on his husband's shoulder.

"Melkor loved Sauron, Celebrimbor loved Annatar," The maia said, holding his spouse close, "but you, Bilbo Baggins, are the first ever to love Mairon."

The hobbit turned to face him and pressed another kiss to his lips, which they continued to do until Bilbo's lungs burned for air.

"We should not leave bed until lunchtime." Bilbo said, "That's a hobbit tradition I want to enforce."

"And one I am very willing to acquiesce to." Mairon agreed, lifting the silk sheets so he could move back to going on top of his husband without uncovering them

He then leaned over the bed to grab his discarded robe, pulling a bundle from his pocket, "But before we continue, I have another gift for you. I remembered your people's tradition."

Bilbo looked at the necklace put on him, a circle of white opal on a rose gold chain, with little rose gold lilies on the top outline.

He then looked at the one the maia put on, a circle of obsidian with white gold vines outlining it on a white gold chain.

Wedding rings were not used in the Shire, it was not convenient when they could get easily lost during farming or gardening, so couples wore matching necklaces to signify marriage.

A smile gracing his face, Bilbo wrapped his arms around his husband's neck and pulled him closer to kiss him again.

***

It was nearly lunchtime when they left the bed, but they made a beeline to the bathing room to clean up -where Bilbo was grateful that in Mordor water automatically came near boiling hot in the plumbing-, but one thing led to another since it was their honeymoon after all so it was just past lunch when they finally left the Dark Lord's quarters.

Bilbo looked a mess in all honesty, despite all his efforts to look respectable, his neck was covered with hickies and bites and his lips were swollen seeing that he spent most of the night kissing his husband when his mortal body did not want air.

Glancing over to said maia, the hobbit was a bit jealous that he had instant healing because no one would be able to tell that he had done worse than what was given to him.

That made his blush return, one might assume since Mairon was far older he would be more experienced, but he was a virgin until last night; though, Bilbo was extremely happy to report his husband was a very fast learner, but that was the only way he was quick.