Chapter forty three

"He brainwashed you!"

I wake up in the middle of the night, Bruno's shout could be heard all the way in here. I wrap my robe around me and head downstairs, the sounds are coming from the guestroom where Alexa is staying.

At first, I'm unsure if I should be listening or not, but when I'm right in front of the door it's too late and the decision is already taken for me.

"How could this happen? Do you know what type of man he is? He'll never let it go!" Bruno says, his voice is angry and shocked.
"I..I know, I don't know what to do." Alexa cries, "It was never meant to be like this, I- I don't know what happened, or how."
"Alexa.." Bruno trails off, "If he finds out-"
"He can't find out!" She cuts in, "Please, please." She begs.

I hear someone stand up, and take a couple of steps.
"Please, you promised me." Alexa says, "You can't tell anyone, no one can know, he'll find out a-and he won't let me go, he'll never let us go."
"Us.." Bruno sighs, "Alexa. I'm going to ask you one more time, please be honest with me."
"He didn't force himself, not when this happened." She answers quickly.

Force himself?

I hear sniffles, followed by Alexa's cries – "I don't know what to do anymore, it's my fault, somehow I..I-"
"It's not your fault, it was never your fault. He kidnapped you, he fucking brainwashed you and you did what you had to do to survive." Bruno cuts in, "we'll figure it out, I promise we will, I'll be there the entire way."
"Do you p-promise?" She asks, as her cries get muffled.
"I promise."

I promise.

I head back to our room and wipe away the stubborn tear that fell. She's been here two weeks; I feel like I'm losing him each day to a battle that I didn't even know I had to fight. The worst part is that he doesn't understand, he doesn't notice how much it hurts. It makes me feel like I'm overreacting, like I'm being dramatic and insecure.

Maybe I am.

I lay down and breathe out. I hear steps come up and pretend to be asleep, having no energy to talk with Bruno because he'll notice right away that my mood has changed. But then again, would he even care? It's all Alexa, Alexa, Alexa. Poor Alexa.

The door opens and Bruno walks in, he doesn't go straight to his side of the bed. Instead, he walks to the edge of the bed, sits down with his elbows on his knees and his face in his palms.

"How the fuck am I supposed to fix this." I hear him mutter, before I fall asleep.

**

When I wake up, the bed is empty again. I sigh and prepare myself for the day thinking that I'll probably not see much of my own boyfriend today either until the bathroom door opens and a wet Bruno comes out in only a towel.

"Good morning baby." He smiles, I know him well enough to know that the smile is put on. He wants to appear happy but something is bothering him.
"Good morning, didn't expect you to be here." I say back.
"What? Why not?"

I don't say anything, instead I lay back in bed and pretend like I didn't hear him. He notices though, and not even a second passes by before I'm all wet and covered by his body.

"Don't ignore me."
"You're getting me all wet!" I yell,
He laughs, "that's what she said."
I understand his joke quickly, but it doesn't stop the words – "Who, Alexa?" Coming out of my mouth in a sarcastic way before I can stop them.

He freezes, and I can feel his eyes on the side of my face.

"Are you.." He trails off, then I hear him smile – "Are you jealous?"
I roll my eyes and turn around to him, "No."
He grins, "is the big sexy bad men seducing huntress.. jealous!?"
Big sexy bad men seducing huntress..