Chapter 15 | Words

Andrew.

I drive to the hospital and see the streets quiet with very few cars at 4 am. The lights flickering through the streets, the dark buildings, and people just starting their days. I drive in silence as little rain hits the car.

Suddenly someone is calling me. I look at the screen and see the contact name and I instantly ignore it.

I decline it and pull up to the parking lot of the hospital and get checked in and I wait for the elevator.

I look down the halls and I see it empty. Then down the other hall, it was empty again. Hospitals are never empty. It was too quiet.

The elevator arrives and a man already stands inside. I walk in and sigh. Before another second passes by, I press the emergency stop button. The elevator shakes for a moment, the alert rings, and the lights flicker for a moment. Then I say, 

"Morning, Martin."

"Good morning to you too, sir." he hands me a a flip phone. "Please, take the phone."

I take the flip phone. No caller ID. Unknown. I answer it, bringing it to my ear.

"It isn't so pleasing to be ignored."

"Well, it isn't pleasing to be bothered, Seth." I say. "Why send a man? I'm sure you're capable of coming on your own with your two feet."

I hear him chuckle on the other line. I run a frustrated hand over my face, annoyed to be stuck in this elevator when I should be up at Jaylin's room. "What do you want?"

"I see you've gotten paid triple by Mr. Pedro last night." He starts. "That isn't a simple negotiation that happens in this industry. Very rare. Especially triple." he says 'rare' irritated.

He doesn't like to be 'behind' in his own work.

After a long pause of him just breathing and listening to him fumbling with something in his hand; he finally says, "How did you get the settlement?"

"I get paid by balance. It's how I work. I'm sure you know, how this thing works." I say. "You taught me it."

"Sure, I did. I practically raised you. But the deposit is late, Andrew. It seems that you have forgotten the monthly debt that you simply need to repay for me teaching you my ways on how to live." I listen to his voice. "See? You're still doing my dirty work and in my dirty way."

"I'll drop it by Tuesday."

"Fair. See you then." The end calls. I hand it back to Martin and release the emergency button.

I look up at the floor going up. "What floor?"

"2nd."

I press the second floor button. "How long have you been working under Seth?" I ask.

"Uh, 8 months, sir."

I hold back a laugh. "Almost hitting the year mark." I place my hands in my pockets, moving to the side of the elevator as I lean back.

"Yes, sir." he says. I watch his stance and his anxious apprehensive eyes, not knowing where to look as I directly stare at him.

There was some sort of guilt hidden behind those eyes.

I ease back, shutting my eyes for a moment. He's going to get himself killed soon.

"If you don't mind but...how long have you worked under Mr. Seth, sir?" We reach the 2nd floor, I hold the door open as he steps out.