49.

12 Grimuald Place was a living, breathing creature, in its own right

Or, at least that was what Fiona thought while she lay awake throughout the night.

The house had a strange and unwelcoming aura about it. The air was thick and musky. Each breath made her crave to be anywhere else. And throughout the night the house whispered to her in moans and creeks. It was as if the residence was locked in another time, visible but somehow dislocated from the here and now.

There was an evil rooted in the foundation of the home. To the perceptive eye, it told tales of the storms that echoed within its keep, not as a warning, but more as an advertisement for the right wizard to come.

The Weasley family, and any person dedicated to fighting You-Know-Who, was not the type the house deemed the right type. Fiona couldn't understand why they had made their headquarters a place that could easily be the home of You-Know-Who himself.

When her mind began to wander, it seemed to find Fred, and despite herself, the thought that he was in the same home made her feel at ease. Throughout her sleepless night, the thought of him, and his infectious laughter, became an anchor of hope in a place filled with despair.

She didn't sleep much that night, and when Ginny and Hermione began to stir from their beds they offered to escort her downstairs for breakfast, but Fiona returned their gesture by turning over in her bed and pretending to sleep. If she had it her way, she would remain in that bed until her father finished work and brought her home.

Charlie Weasley had other plans, however.

"I know you're awake," He hummed as he pushed the door to the bedroom open with his back. His arms were preoccupied with carrying a large tray with enough food to feed a small family. "I brought breakfast," He said as if she couldn't smell the temptation sitting beside her. Fiona didn't move. She was perfectly content to continue her farce sleep.

But as Ginnys' bed whined under Charlies' weight, her stomach began to rumble, and with a great deal of reluctance, Fiona sat up.

Charlie clapped his hands together and leaned to the tray of food he had sat on the nightstand beside her bed. "Good," he cheerfully said as he took her plate and put it in her lap. "Thought you might be more comfortable eating up here," he said as he placed a fork in her limp hand. "Normally a lot going on down there...nothing you'd want to trouble yourself with," he added casually.

Fiona couldn't help but feel as if Charlie was taking great efforts to keep her separated from Fred. And while that comforted her,  there was still a small, irritating part that wanted to go down to where he was.

"George said we're cleaning the library today," she muttered as she scraped her fork around the plate. Despite her grumbling stomach, and the appeasing smell in front of her, she didn't have much of an appetite.