CHAPTER 16

Valerie's POV

Ryan is good-looking but dumb.

When I said we should grant his mother's wish, I didn't mean having sex but the horrified look on his face says it all. That was his own interpretation of my statement.

I lived with Fred yet I never had sex with him because I wasn't ready. What then will make me have sex with Ryan whom I am not even attracted?

Nothing.

"I am not talking about sex, silly", I rush forward toward him.

He sighs with relief and finally nods his head.

"Why will you even think of that? You are not even my type", I voice out before I can control it. He does not answer and I bite my lips in regret for saying that. "Besides, it is against the contract…"

"You are not my type, either", he brushes past me to go to the bathroom. I thought he wanted to take a bath but a second later, he comes out with a wet face.

Well, we are even now. He is not my type and I am not his type.

"Won't you ask me what I meant?" I follow him behind as he walks to the bed.

He slouches onto the bed. "What do you mean?"

I really can not say if this sudden calmness of an egoistic man like Ryan is because of his mother's health or because he is too exhausted to argue or fight me.

I never expected that he would back off like that about me leaving his room.

I guess both reasons are the factors. He is not in the mood to argue with me about anything.

I move to face him. "What I mean is that we will fake it. You know we talked about this on our first date. I told you we need to make them believe that we are liking each other gradually and I think I am already doing a great job. You should make your mother believe that this thing between us is working. She is our major focus now."

"How will this help me? Will this make her survive?" He cries out and I see the pain in his eyes. He shakes his head and waves me away.

Faking it isn't his problem. But it is to me. We should grant that woman's last wish. We should make her happy while on her deathbed. 

Myeloma has no remedy. Saying she is dying means it is in the last stage and there is little we can do to help out. What we can only do is shower her with more love and be there for her. We should make her happy too.

I haven't spent much time with any of his family members but I like his mother already. The way she spoke about him that day speaks volumes of unsaid words. She loved him.

If I hadn't met Ryan before I met with his mom, I would have thought he was the most handsome man ever who is also well-behaved. Maybe I would have liked him a lot but first impression lasts forever they say.