seventeen

It was 9:58 when Nate pulled up to the Jackson residence. He parked his truck outside after waving to Finnegan, and pulled out a pack of Bud Light from the back. He walked up to the house and knocked, Olivia answering it after a few seconds.

A small piece of her had hoped it was Fezco at the door. But she shoved that feeling deep down and ignored it.

"Hey." Liv said, moving to the side to let Nate in.

"Hey." He said back, walking in the house.

Nate was only ever there if there was a party going on. He's never seen the home like this; calm and collected, the fireplace on, a Tom Dixon  "Fire" candle burning on the glass coffee table. It made his house seem like a hamster cage.

"You can just put that on the dining room table." Liv said, referring to the beers in Nate's hand. He looked away from the house and at them, nodding his head and following Liv to the dining room. He put the beer onto the table and shoved his hands into his pockets.

Even though they wouldn't admit it, they were both a little nervous.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Nate asked. Olivia's eyebrows furrowed.

"What makes you think he's not here?" She asked.

"If he was, would I be?"

Olivia didn't say anything. Instead, she looked at the floor, intimidated under Nate's gaze.

"Why'd you break up?" He wondered. Olivia rolled her eyes.

"We're not..broken up. We just..."

She didn't know how to answer that question. If they were just fighting, Fez wouldn't have left and he wouldn't have gone to Lexi's. But, at the same time, they weren't broken up. They couldn't have been.

"Right." Nate nodded.

Olivia pulled out a chair, sitting down at it. Nate followed her actions.

"Why am I here, Olivia?" He wondered. Olivia looked at his shoulder, not wanting to look him in the eyes.

She shrugged.

"I guess I didn't want to be alone." She answered.

A tear fell down her cheek, but she wiped it quickly and got up.

"I'll go get us some cups." Liv mumbled, walking away and leaving Nate to himself. She couldn't let him see her cry.

But he did. Whatever Liv and Fez went through, he knew she was hurting. And, for whatever reason, he felt like he needed to be there for her. Out of all people, she went to him for help.

That had to mean something.

Olivia came back with two glasses in her hand. She put one in front of Nate, and one in front of her chair, which she climbed into.

"Why'd you get glasses?" He asked.

Olivia let her hands go right to the beer, having already indulged in the other alcohol in the house the night prior.