18. Rekindling

5th of september 1535
Chateau de Fontainebleau, France

Catherine sat on her armchair embroidering with her ladies-in-waiting around her.

After welcoming Henry, they both went their separate ways. Henri back to bedrooms and Catherine to hers.

She felt confused about her reunion with Henri. It was as if she was reacquainted with another man, her other man.

"You must be happy to see the prince again, you have been separated for so long." Said her lady-in-waiting Jacqueline de longwy. She looked curiously at her mistress.

Jaqcueline knew as well as anyone at court that the relationship between duke and duchess was as good as nonexistent. The two couldn't stand each other.

Marie de Guise, slapped Jaqcueline gently on the leg. "Why would you ask that, Jaqcueline?"

"Don't get upset Marie, you're pregnant." Catherine warned her with a smile.

Marie had married Louis d'Orléans, The Duke of Longueville, the previous summer. One of the king's counselors. She had become pregnant soon after her wedding and was expecting her child any minute.

Catherine had allowed her to withdraw to prepare for the babe, but Marie had refused, wanting to serve her mistress-turned-friend until the last minute.

"Of course Duchess." she said with a nod. She looked at the garment she was embroidering. "I can't thank you enough for this, Duchess. My child will feel blessed with all these gifts from you."

Catherine took her hand. "You are my friend, you deserve it. You all deserve it." She looked at her ladies-in-waiting: Laura, Camilla, Marie, Jacqueline, and even Francoise, whom she'd been able to hold out long enough to even like her a little.

Catherine regularly presented gifts to her ladies-in-waiting to thank them for their service. She had formed a loyal friendship and trust with her three new ladies-in-waiting.

They shared the latest gossip, laughed and cried together. It was as if she had gained another family.

The door of the room was opened "His Highness the Duke of Orleans" announced the footman.

Her ladies-in-waiting jumped up from the pews they sat on and hurried behind their mistress, who rose quietly.

"Marie, the Babe." Catherine hissed at Marie, giving her a warning look. But Marie didn't even seem to hear her, for for the time being she sank into a deep curtsy when Henri walked into the room.

Henri was followed by the servants who placed large paintings protected by cloths and boxes.

"Husband." Catherine greeted him. Henri had changed into a shirt and trousers, his dark hair tousled on his head, still wet from the bath he had just taken.

"Catherine, I have brought you gifts from abroad." He said as he stood in front of her.

Catherine looked at him in surprise. She hadn't expected him to even think about her.

"You may take your leave." she said to her ladies-in-waiting without looking at them. She walked over to one of the large paintings and pulled the canvas off it.

She recognized the painting immediately. She turned to Henri. "My father's portrait." she said surprised. Henry nodded. "Look at the other painting."

Catherine turned back and pulled the canvas off the second painting. Tears came to Catherine's eyes at the sight of her mother's milky white face and her blond hair.

She turned back to Henri, who had moved closer. "Henri, I don't know what to say except thank you. I thought I'd never see their faces again, but you brought them to me." she said emotionally.

"You don't have to thank me for this. It was your brother who gave me the idea of ​​bringing this to you." Confessed Henry.

"You visited with my brother?"

"I stayed at his court for two months. He was such a good host. I even met your relatives."

"Also Lorenzo, Giulio and Simonetta?" Catherine asked.

Alessandro's mistress had given birth to twins a few months ago, whom Alessandro had named Giulio and Simonetta. The boy was named after their uncle Pope Clement and the girl after his own mother.

Taddea, Alessandro's mistress, had died of childbed fever shortly after the twins were born, Alessandro had written to her.

"Yes, I was able to meet them. Your nephew Lorenzo was very curious and eager to learn. The two smallest ones a bit calmer, although little Simonetta managed to grab me by the collar several times."

Catherine laughed. "That sounds like she really is my brother's daughter." Henri also laughed "I have more gifts for you in the chest."

Catherine nodded and went over to the boxes and opened them. One of the chests contained dozens of Italian-style dresses, the other several books, and the last one was filled with jewelry made of gold, pearls, crystals and silver.

She was silent about how nice Henri had been to her. Despite the fact that they broke up with a fight, he had made the effort to bring her gifts. She had greeted him awkwardly today and then hadn't even bothered to greet him in his bedrooms.

She was ashamed of how she had behaved.

"My sisters all got Italian style dresses too. I thought you might like that." Henri reported to break the silence.

He was afraid Catherine didn't like his presents. Maybe she was still angry about the stuff from months ago, or maybe she hated him so much she didn't know how to react.

Catherine turned back to him. "Thank you, husband. I couldn't be happier." She smiled at him. "Maybe if you have time tomorrow we can go riding together. I wish we could go today but your father has so much planned for today I'm sure we won't get the time." she said gently. This would be the first time they would do anything on their own.

A smile appeared on Henri's face. "I would like that.". He bowed. "I'll take my leave, lady wife."

Catherine curtsied as Henri left the room.

It was not long before her ladies-in-waiting gathered in her chambers again.

Camilla went straight to the boxes and let out a small squeal at the sight of the things inside. She completely ignored Francoise's averted look.

Laura walked over to the portraits. Seeing the beautiful face of her old mistress brought a smile to her face.

"I hope you are proud of her." she whispered to the portrait. "And I hope you are proud of me for raising your daughter."

"The prince was kind enough to give you all these things." Marie remarked, sitting quietly again.

"He was indeed kind." Catherine said, taking a seat next to her. She placed her hand on Marie's large belly.

"You will really have to take your leave of court Marie. It's almost your time." She said, Marie was already starting to struggle but Catherine interrupted her. "When the babe is born and you are fully rested you are welcome again, but for now I want you to go. Write to me when the child is born and I will visit you, understand?"

Marie nodded. "Thank you, Duchess."