14. The Ladies in Waiting

October 25th, 1533
Chateau de Fontainebleau, France

After a few hours of travel, the group finally arrived at the chateau de Fontainebleau.

All through the journey Catherine and the royal children were chattering. She had had the chance to get to know the children better.

"This is gorgeous." Catherine said to Laura who had joined Catherine in the courtyard. She looked at the large, white stone palace

"It is indeed." Said a voice from behind them.

Catherine turned and curtsied to the Queen.

"The first time I came here I was amazed.  This is perhaps one of my favorite palaces in France." Eleanor continued.

"I am used to beautiful palaces, after all I have lived in the Vatican, but for some reason I find this even more breathtaking than the palazzo apolistico." replied Catherine the Queen.

Eleanor smiled. "Then just wait until you see your rooms." She gestured to a maid.  "Accompany the Duchess to her chambers."

Catherine curtsied to the queen again and followed the maid into the palace. Here too Catherine was amazed. Every corner and corridor of the palace was beautifully decorated.

"These are your rooms, Your Highness."  said the maid as she ushered them into a room.

The first room they walked into was quite large. In the middle were two large sofas.  There was also an armchair by the fireplace and by the large windows, which were screened by thick velvet curtains.  Embroidered carpets were placed over the wooden floors and the room was donated by various paintings and tapestries. In the room was a large table, a desk, and chairs and armchairs scattered about.

The second room, her bedroom, was decorated as beautifully as her audience chamber. There was also a fireplace in that room.

Her bed was made of mahogany wood and velvet curtains hung around the four-poster bed. On the wall was a large dressing table and on the other side was a large mirror. A door in the room led out into a smaller room where several boxes on the floor were intended for her dresses.

Catherine looked around in surprise. "This is beautiful, don't you think?"

"It is indeed very beautiful." Agreed Camilla. "It is." Laura said, turning to the maid. "Have all the princess's belongings brought, make haste." she commanded.

The maid curtsied and hurried out of the room.

Catherine loosened her cape and threw it on the bed before she went back into the audience room and sat down. "Someone will have to light the fireplace soon." she noted. She was terribly cold after the trip and couldn't wait to warm herself up again.

There was a knock on the door and shortly after three women walked in.

"Your Highness." The eldest of the three greeted them with a curtsy, the other two imitated her.

"Who are you?" Laura asked curiously.  They had only just arrived and thought it was much too early for visitors.

"I am the Lady Francoise de Sarrebruck, the chief lady-in-waiting of the duchess and old governess of the children of France. I present: Marie de guise, eighteen years old, and Jacqueline de Longwy, fifteen years old, your new ladies in waiting." She said.

She recognized Marie from yesterday's party. Henri had behaved very kindly with her. Jaqcueline and Francoise were new to her.

"Ladies, welcome. I hope you will serve me well." Catherine said politely, sitting on the settee.

"Lady De Sarrebruck, I am honored to have you as chief lady in waiting but unfortunately I already have lady Laura as my chief lady in waiting. Despite that I would still like to have you in my service."

"That's not possible, Duchess. I'm already known at court, so I'd best be your chief lady in waiting." Francoise spoke in a stern tone, and Catherine grew to dislike her.

"I've raised the Duchess to be the woman she is, I'm sure that makes me more suited to the role of chief lady in waiting."  Spoke Laura to Francoise.

"Why don't we suggest I have two chief ladies waiting. I need both of you."  Catherine suggested so that the two ladies would stop bickering.

The ladies seemed to disagree but nodded for the time being.

"Very well then, let's unpack the things."  Catherine said. The servants had come in with her belongings.