Chapter 1

"You have to stop being so picky!"
"We've seen where not being picky have gotten you, so no thanks." I say back.

She throws me a glance, and puts on a fake smile, "funny."
It would've been if it was a joke...

I've been going through the dress catalog with my cousin for three hours. The annual winter ball is tomorrow, and my dad has made it clear that I have to look my best. I'm turning nineteen in less than a month, it's time. Actually one year past that time already.

I feel a pit forming in my stomach every time I think about it. Being the daughter of the biggest crime family of France has its perks, being the youngest child and only daughter of the most important businessman of France has even more perks. Ever since he married my mother, his second wife - I've always been the princess. His pride and honor that gets whatever she wants as long as he's allowed to show me off and ship me to the best groom.

That's the down part of it all, no amount of shopping or closet space will erase the fact that I can't actually do whatever I want - not when it comes to my future at least, because that was already decided before I was born, I was going to have the same faith as most girls born in families like mine - being the housewife of a man that doesn't love you, or look at you twice unless it's for his benefit.

I'm only nineteen, but I've already had two fiancés. Both that I managed to scare away, the first one when we were in France and the second when we came to Miami. Now we're in New York, and time is running out because the second I turn nineteen - I'll be in the arms of a ruthless someone who's going to trap me in a loveless marriage for the rest of my life.

"Bella!" The high-pitched voice of my cousin snaps me out of my thoughts.
"What?" I ask, slightly annoyed.
"I asked if you wanted to go out and shop, I'm tired of catalog shopping."

I nod, all opportunity to get out of the mansion is good. I don't get to go out a lot unless it's with my cousins, or when I sneak out. My parents aren't strict, but they can't risk me getting a reputation that scares away the perfect groom so it's usually best to keep me here.. good thing we don't have cameras.

I grab my purse and follow Leah as we head out of my room, only seconds pass by before we bump into Adrien, my youngest half-brother.

"Leah," he nods to our cousin, then he looks at me and throws a glance at what I'm wearing. "Do you ever leave the house without looking like a hooker?"
"No, do you?" I smile, a sarcastic smile.

Usually I don't talk back, I'd rather ignore him - he's been making my life a living hell since the day I was born. He never accepted my mother, neither did he accept that his father could remarry after his first wife and mother of Adrien, died.

"Watch that fucking mouth, hookers don't talk back unless they're paid to do so." He spits, but before he can take any further steps, Alexis - my oldest half-brother steps in.
"Leave her, she's just looking for attention, don't waste your time."
"Better that way," Adrien laughs, "the sluttier she looks the faster we'll find someone to get rid of her."

Alexis is the heir to our father's empire, they're both always by his side but because Alexis is the oldest, he'll be the one that takes over when our dad steps down. By then I'll be far gone and won't need to see any of them. Luckily for me, Alexis already avoids me like the plague.

"Let's go." I mutter to Leah, before I walk away.

**

The day went by fast, and suddenly I was standing and throwing one last glance at the mirror as I wore the yellow dress, I picked out yesterday. It's long and has a slit going down and stopping right above my belly button - with an open back.