Chapter 2

"Bonjour ma chérie"
"Bonjour maman" I smile, giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

I take a seat on the end of the table on the opposite side of my mother. The seat on the head of the table and the closest are reserved to my father and brothers, none of them have come down yet.

My mom is the most beautiful woman I've seen. She doesn't do or say much, she married my father at the age of nineteen and they had me almost immediately. They met in France, at first, she wasn't accepted in his family – they say it was because of their "differences." But we all know what that's keyword for. It didn't stop them from getting married though, and they had me almost immediately.

Both my parents come from rich families with money passed down from generations. My mother comes from a family that owns the biggest French newspaper, while my father's family has worked in design and architecture – at least that's their "official" business. Being the biggest crime family in the French underworld was what got them where they are, unofficially.

"Did you hear about Myers?... They said he was quite fucked up."
"They said he got jumped but I call bullshit, that wasn't about money – his damn tongue was cut off."

Both me and mother turn around to see my brothers entering. Alexis gives my mother a slight nod, and heads straight to his seat while Adrien throws me on of his usual glares before he gets seated. My father follows shortly and takes a seat at the head of the table.

"Do you have anything important from last week's ball?" My father asks, looking at today's newspaper.

Alexis takes a sip of his coffee like he's twenty-six on the outside and forty on the inside.
"Rumors are saying that Parker is having financial trouble, I think it's good we didn't sign the contract with them yet."
"I had a gut feeling about those fuckers." Adrien says, eating his croissant like he's never food before. My father throws him a glance, unpleased with his choice of words.

I grab my phone and start texting Leah and Isabelle to see if they want to go shopping later.

"The Romero's are back in town, seems like everyone is trying to set up a deal with them."
"Has anyone talked to their new leader?"
"No, he disappeared at the start of the night. Rumors say he left with a redhead, no one saw him after."

Romero – that name sounds familiar, I heard it at the ball. Green eyed guy, what was his first name?

"We spoke with Luca Romero." Alexis says to my father, Luca Romero? It doesn't sound right but my memory sucks, so I wouldn't doubt that it's me remembering wrong.
"I can't stand any of them and talking with Luca is like talking to a fucking wall. Every time I said something, he looked at me like I had just killed his dog." Adrien says.

Weird, he seemed like he put on a charming act but I guess I wasn't the only one who received his death glare..

I get a text from Leah confirming that they'll pick me up soon with their chauffeur. I hate the fact that none of us are allowed to drive, I've tried to take driving lessons in secret before but that didn't go so well. Adrien caught me the second time and snitched to our father right away. My phone was taken for two weeks because of it.

"Bella!"

I look up immediately, and lock eyes with my father.

"Oui, papa?"
"Did you hear anything of what I just said?"
"Je suis désolé, can you repeat it?" I ask, innocently. He doesn't know how to stay mad when I give him that tone, it reminds him of when I was a child.
"James will come later to take you out; it'll be your first appearance as a couple."

My expression drops, but I recover quick and nod with a smile earning a happy look from my father.

"Try to not dress like you're going to a strip club." Adrien leans in and whispers in my ear. I keep my smile on, but make sure to step on his foot with my high heels when I stand up to leave the table. His face turns red, and he mutters something under his breath, but I don't bother to listen.