CHAPTER 19

Ryan's POV

We left the mansion without talking to Mother. She didn't spare me a glance but was all smiles with Valerie.

I thought having Valerie talk to her on my behalf will make it easy for her to forgive me and that will make it easy to approach her.

I am desperate to talk to her and assure her that everything will be fine. I can't do anything to help her if we can't talk. We need to talk about how she feels and I need to convince her to continue the treatment.

She shouldn't give up. She taught me how not to give up. Why would she give up on the treatment when she can keep it going? 

What confuses me more is the fact that Father isn't saying anything about it too. When I brought it up during dinner after Valerie and Mother left us, he ignored me.

Should I go and visit him tomorrow? I feel sad knowing that Anita, who has always been away from home, knows more than I do. She gave me a sign to keep shut but I can't even comprehend what she meant by that.

Didn't she say Father knew? If he knew, why is he acting nonchalant like he isn't about to lose his wife? If he doesn't know, why didn't he act surprised when I talked about her and cancer?

What the hell is happening? Why the hell do I suddenly feel like an outcast? 

Valerie's laughter pulls me back to life. She is sitting right beside me in the car and there is a wide smile on her face which looks strange.

I don't think I have ever seen her smile, have I? It is always something fake or a scowl or a wicked grin.

She shakes her head again and laughs, making me curious to know what is so funny that she is laughing this much.

Before I can say anything, she meets my gaze and smiles.

Instead of asking her what she and my Mother talked about and why she is laughing, I look away.

I gave her a simple job and she didn't even do anything. If she did, then Mother would have asked to see me before we left. Valerie was even the one who suggested that we left.

This woman can never change.

"Won't you ask me why I am amused?" She asks with another laughter which sounds different but sweet to the ears.

My mother is sick. She spoke to her and she is now laughing? What is all of this about? Is this a joke or something?

"What did you two talk about?" I growl out in irritation, wishing I can't contain my curiosity and not ask.

"You don't want to know", she muses darkly, making me more impatient.

"Why bring it up when you weren't planning on telling me, then?" There is a frown on my face as I say to her, watching her shake her head.