Chp. 14

Drew had rolled down our windows lightly to feel the cool November air flow through the car, allowing my senses to calm. The relaxing melody of Magic by Coldplay played through the speakers as I attempted to untangle the AUX chord from the gear shift. We hadn't been on the road long but I was eager to start this four hour long journey with her, and I knew just the thing to keep us preoccupied.

I demanded, "Okay, so we're gonna play a game."

She glanced at me uneasily, "A game?" I nodded as I watched her bite her lip, which made my heart skip in my chest, "Okay. What kind of game?"

"We take turns asking each other questions but we both have to answer them."

"That's a game to you?" she smirked at me, which made me bite my own lip in response. I knew it wasn't really a game but I just wanted an excuse to ask Drew things without making her feel like I was calling out. She replied once again, "Can I start?"

I nodded, hoping she would start out small and simple.

Instead I heard her ask, "What song describes our relationship, to you?"

She looked at me, an eager smile spread on her perfect lips. Given she had caught me off guard with her question, which she clearly took pride in, but I was determined to give my best answer. How she had come up with that on the spot was beyond me, but it was definitely interesting.

I frowned, "That's hard."

She teased, "Try."

I smirked to myself as I thought about the millions of songs I knew. Trying to think of one song that would describe our relationship was really hard, but I tried. I flipped through my music, reading all of the song titles and humming certain ones in my head. Then my finger accidentally hit one specific song, as if it was a sign for me to stop and look.

The melody began playing and I looked at her, "I didn't mean to-"

"Wait," she answered, smiling, "I like this song."

I recognized the familiar voice of Michelle Branch, who was one of my favorites, and soon the recognizable chorus of All You Wanted blared through the speakers.

I sang along quietly.

If you want to...

I can save you...

I can't take you away from here...

So lonely inside...

So busy out there...

And all you wanted was somebody who cares...