Chapter Twelve

One month later...

Zira roared and slammed her paw onto a rock in front of her. Her claws unsheathed and they left marks in the rock as she dug into it with all of her strength.
Pain racked her body and her head fell to the ground. She rolled onto her side with half a growl, half a moan.
Shani was standing nearby with Asilia. They were watching Zira with concerned expressions but they seemed like they were hesitant to get any closer.
"You're sure that she's giving birth? I don't see any signs of a cub yet," Asilia whispered to Shani.
"I'm positive that she's giving birth now. It may take a little while, but the cub will be here. I can assure you that."
Asilia nodded and turned her focus back to Zira.

Scar paced outside of the termite mound den, his muscles tense and his jaw clenched.
He could still hear her voice as she snarled at him to leave. Now he could hear her agonized roars as she struggled to push out his future heir, and he actually felt guilty for putting her through so much pain.
But then he thought about how much he wanted this child and how much he knew that she wanted it, too. He knew it would all be worth it, in the long run.
He kept pacing as another roar echoed through the growing dawn.

Zira pushed and let out yet another spine-chilling roar. Her throat was raw and her eyes were bloodshot. Asilia and Shani were right next to her now, regardless of whether she would hurt them or not. They had to help her in some way or another.
"Push, Zira!"
"Don't you think I'm trying!!?"
She swatted at the two with her claws but she was too weak to get a good blow. They jumped back before she could even get a scratch.
"We're just trying to help you, Zira!"
"I don't need your help!!!"
Suddenly she screamed and doubled over on her side.
Shani and Asilia rushed forward, yet again, to Zira's side.
"Are you okay?!"
A slight whimpering sound immediately drew their attention away from Zira to the end of her tense body.
A newborn cub was lying helpless on the floor, his dark fur wet and his tiny eyes squeezed shut.
Shani immediately went to pick him up but Zira let out a low warning growl.
"Stay back."
Shani did as instructed and she stepped away from the cub.
The exhausted Zira turned her body with a small moan and beheld her newborn cub.
He was large for a newborn. His fur was the color of his father's and his face, even with the chub of youth, looked a lot like his mother's.
"It's a male, right?" Shani asked quietly.
Zira, breathless from the birth and the sight of her new cub, nodded silently in response.
She bent her neck slightly and licked the cub's head. He mewed and snuggled closer to her. She smiled and put her paws around his little body. She made sure to retract her claws and she held him with more tenderness than she ever thought she was even capable of.
"You're perfect," she whispered.
Asilia and Shani came forward again. Asilia peered down at the cub and a loving growl escaped her throat.
"He's so precious," Shani breathed.
"He's adorable," said Asilia.
Zira's ears perked up and she looked at Shani.
"What did you call him?"
Shani flinched back a little, afraid of the sudden comment from Zira.
"I'm sorry if it offended you..."
"No! Not at all! I just want to hear it again."
Shani blinked at her in confusion but she dutifully repeated what she had said.
"I said that he's so precious."
Zira grinned and looked lovingly back down at her cub.
"Precious... Kito. Yes, it's perfect."
Shani and Asilia shared a quick confused glance. Zira saw this and she immediately explained herself.
"Kito means precious in Swahili."
Suddenly they both understood and they nodded in agreement.
"It's perfect."
Zira looked up suddenly and her eyes were wide.
"Someone needs to go get Scar. He needs to see our son."
Asilia nodded her head once and took off in the direction of the entrance.

Scar was still pacing when Asilia made her way towards him.
"Scar!" she shouted, " Zira gave birth!"
Before she could say anything else he was bounding towards the entrance. He ran into the den and when he caught sight of Zira he stopped in his tracks. She was smiling and in her arms was a newborn cub.
Scar made his way forward slowly this time, almost as if he were trying not to scare the cub.
He stopped when he was right in front of Zira and he craned his neck down to get a closer look.
He could tell right away that the cub was healthy and strong. He looked back up at Zira. Her eyes were glowing with pride as she stared back at him.
"Male or female?"
"Male."
Scar's heart soared and a smile spread across his face.
"An heir," he murmured.
She nodded and bent her head to lick the cub. He squeaked and then his mouth stretched into a great big yawn.
They both laughed quietly and met each other's gaze yet again.
"What should we call him?"
"I thought Kito was a good fit."
Scar thought about this for a second before looking back down at the cub.
"Precious... it does seem fitting."
He nudged his son with the tip of his snout and the little lion mewed in surprise.
He looked around with closed eyes and he squirmed a little in his mother's arms.
"Hello, my son. My little Kito."
The cub piped up and Zira licked him yet again. It seemed to soothe him and soon he was fast asleep.
Shani suddenly spoke up and Scar snapped to attention.
"Well, you should probably let your mate get some rest. It was a hard birth for her."
Zira rolled her eyes.
"It wasn't that bad."
Scar raised one brow at her. She looked away and sighed.
"Okay, maybe it was a little challenging. But it was nothing that I couldn't handle."
"Nevertheless you still need your rest. I'll see you soon, my love."
With that he nuzzled her and walked off towards the entrance.
Zira watched him leave before turning her attention back to her cub.
"My Kito. My perfect little Kito. You're going to soar to great heights one day. I just know it."