The Judgement

Mairon wondered if this was how Morgoth felt, wrapped neck to feet in unbreakable chain, dragged through Valinor like a lame horse, with elves screaming curses at him or cheering his humiliation -the bolder ones throwing stones or attacking him.

As he was brought up the Taniquetil to Ilmarin, the maia was unchained and pushed forward towards Manwё and Varda's dais where he knelt.

He did not need to look to sense that all the valar were here for his punishment.

Even Aulё, his frown obvious even through his braided beard and his kind brown eyes harsh with judgement.

Sauron already knew he was to be cast into the Void, this trial was a mere formality: he would never get a second chance not only because all he had done, but also because Melkor had spat on his own -the time for redemption had passed Ages ago.

***

The Great Smith looked at Mairon, his heart aching all over again at the sight of his Maia.

Mairon -he never thought of him as Sauron, refused to allow the name of Melkor's corruption to have any foothold if he could help it- was very much a mess: his black robes were tatters around his body, barely recognizable from the threads keeping it in one piece; his pale skin was littered with cuts and gashes, and his footsteps on the white marble floor left a bloodstain behind.

The blond maia knelt before Manwë and Varda's twin thrones, his gaze on the floor below him as the Valar discussed what to do with him.

"What have you to say in your own defense?" Varda asked the maia, her gaze staring into his fëa to examine the darkness in his heart

"I apologize for my actions in the First Age, I acted according to Melkor's desires, not my own." Mairon began, looking up to look not at the rulers, but to the left of Manwë where Eönwë stood "I regret not taking your invatation."

The Lady of Mercy, her eternal tears glistening like diamonds down her face, spoke next, "I have kept an eye upon Mairon so I might counsel Aulë's woes. His regret is true and he has shown that he is indeed one of Morgoth's victims."

Three factions formed quickly among the Valar, the rulers choosing nothing: Oromë, Nessa, Tulkas, and Ulmo want to toss him in the Void after the Great Foe; Aulë, Yavanna, Vána, and Nienna all agreed that he was trying to change and he should be granted the chance to redeem himself; Mandos, Irmo Vairë, and Estë were abstaining from the decision of punishment but they are claiming that the Father of Them All does not want Mairon to go to the Void where Morgoth could further manipulate him.

"You once held the belief your brother might be redeemed, my lord." Eönwë whispered to the King of Aman, reminding him

The eight main arguing Valar continued to do just that, Aulë the most vocal in Mairon's defense and Tulkas the most vocal in him being sentenced to the Void.

"You would put the world at risk again because you refuse to acknowledge that he is your failure!" The Valiant spat at the Smith, "Between Mairon and Curumo your house is producing all the dark maiar!"

"Several of Ulmo's maiar fell into Morgoth's service, not just two of mine." Aulë reminded

"Ossë and Salmar repented." The Lord of the Waters, his words booming from the barrier of his liquid beard

The Great Smith was about to say something else, but he was stopped by the hand of his wife on his arm.

"Which is what Mairon is trying to do." Yavanna said, "We have all noticed the end of his war campaign. The greatest of evidence is the hobbit he has bound himself to, who has been the catalyst of his change."