[ 03 ] REBUILD

UNEDITED.

vote goal: 1,500

TOSHA

Loud knocks came to the front door and I visibly tensed knowing that it could be only one person creating such noise at an hour like this. I shut my eyes and inhaled deeply. I took a brief moment to prepare myself for this conversation and wanted to relieve myself from any present nerves before encountering Matteo.

A text message was sent to my phone. I tapped the screen of my phone and it revealed Matteo's message.

Hey, I tried to get here as quickly as I could. I'm outside. Are U up?

Although the pain of our previous conversation still plagued my mind, Aunt Shereé's voice convicted me.

"I don't want you to look back at your life and feel any regret as I did. We are called to live on this earth in harmony and love, to protect and support one another....Life isn't always easy but never allow anything to change your heart posture."

I stared down at the text and gulped. It was now or never. I didn't want to keep anything bottled up or weighing down on my heart. I needed complete closure and understanding. I needed to move past this situation, especially if I wanted to be with Matteo and have a healthy relationship with him.

I grabbed the phone off of my bathroom counter and replied back.

Yes, I am up. Coming to the door right now!

I grabbed my purple silk bonnet from the bathroom counter but immediately paused. I looked into the mirror. I'd detangled my hair and greased my scalp and spent the night putting my coarse curls into twists for a twist out tomorrow. Although I'd done a pretty good job, I didn't believe they were neat enough to be shown as a style on their own.

I frowned to myself. Girl, be serious right now. He's seen your hair matted in all different ways while he devoured your body.

I rolled my eyes as the dream I'd had popped up in my head again. I sighed deeply. I'd been trying to push that dream from my mind and not think about him sexually, but it was such a challenge.

Hesitantly, I ended up stuffing my twists into the bonnet anyway. "He's here to talk, not critique your bedtime hair." I murmured to myself.

Giving myself another quick glance in the mirror, I shut off the switch and carried my phone with me out of my room. I wore a comfortable oversized T-shirt, short-shorts, and my house slippers.

I was nervous to see him but still had a lot of unresolved emotions within me about the past. I hoped that this conversation with him tonight would bring forth clarification for the both of us, without arguing or anything being misinterpreted in translation.

Everything seemed to flash in slow motion as I turned the knob of the front door and pulled it to me and revealed the man that could seem to make head turn by just his presence alone.

Matteo stood in the flesh, his body lazily resting against the door frame as if waiting patiently for me. His head rose slowly, and those beautiful brown eyes naturally connected with mine. The dim shadow of the midnight stars illuminated his rosy skin. He appeared flushed, a familiar expression I recognized whenever he drank.

A familiar smell of burned smoke allowed me to know he'd been smoking on the way to me, also.

His eyes scanned me down, from the bonnet on my head, all the way down to my slippers, slowly, taking in every inch of me as if it had been centuries since we'd last seen one another. Granted, standing before him tonight felt as though he'd been so far for some reason.