Slave

On her back, the gentle rocking was soothing. It reminded him of days that he couldn't even remember. Maybe that was how a mother would rock her child. He would never know. He was an orphan. When he had sense of the things around him, he already knew that he had no one with him and he was alone. No father, no mother. Alone.

He saw it before how other woman rocked their children.

It always made him wonder how it felt.

And at this moment, he was glad to know.

On her back, it felt comforting. As if when he was on her back, nothing bothered him anymore. She was like a lifeboat that appeared in the storming sea; turning the thunderous roaring sea into a serene peaceful existence and he who was on the boat was gently bought to rest. The things that happened a few days ago, or even a few years ago seemed far away.

He had been living on the streets for the longest time and just like how he had been surviving for the longest time, he roamed from street to street, house to house to feed himself, even just a few pieces of scrap had been good enough for him.

And one day, someone gave him a bun, a fluffy hot steaming bun. The white bun seemed to glitter in his eyes. It was the first bun that he didn't need to pick up from the ground.

With sparkling anticipation, he took it in his hand. It got dirty from his smudgy hands, but the warmth of the bun melted his heart. He bit into it, no stones, no dirt, it tasted plain, but it was the most delicious one he ever had.

It was the first time he felt kindness, and the first time he was betrayed by such kindness. He regretted taking it because next, the man grabbed his arm, and that half-bitten bun fell to the muddy ground. Filth covered its white surface. Forever tainted.

He was captured and thrown into a wooden caged cart; slowly more children joined him. It rocked and all the children huddled together; eyes filled with fear, and he wasn't the exception. He didn't know how long he was in it before they arrived at an unknown location and ushered into a shed with even more children. Some were dirty like him, and some had nice clothes.

One by one they were each dragged out. Screams were heard far away.

It was daunting.

The moon was shining through a little gap too far for them to reach, and the cold air came to mock them. The boy couldn't sleep, and he talked with another—one with nice clothes who couldn't sleep as well and was sobbing. The boy struck a conversation out of boredom.

"How long have you been here?"

"I don't know," answered the other. He was maybe just a bit older compared to him.

"Where are we?"

"I don't know."

The boy stared at him; he was a clueless boy just like him. It was useless to ask him. Their answers would be the same. "You got nice clothes," stated the boy, trying to distract himself.

"Thank you."

Maybe the older too was feeling same, he asked him, "My name's Ah Ke. What's yours?"

"I have no name."

They were both quiet for a while as another scream was heard from far away.

"It's scary."

"Yes," as the older boy started to sob again.

Suddenly the door opened. A big burly appeared at the entrance. He scanned the shed. Looking for something. It woke everyone up except for a few who were too tired and continued to sleep. Those who were awake avoided his eyes. Keeping their heads low, they do not dare to return his gaze.

"Take that one and the one beside it," ordered the big burly man at the two boys in the corner.

The boys both looked at each other, lamenting their bad luck.

"Yes, boss," answered his assistant as he took the boys away.

.

They were bought to another location. Stepping out from the shed, it took a while for their eyes to adjust. However, when it did, the boy's eyes grew wide as they stared at the reason for the screaming cries of the children.

A few lanterns illuminated the adults and children, an orange tinge, created a warm glow on their faces but the sight was the opposite of what was conveyed. The boy and his friend, Ah Ke felt a chill which ran down their bodies.

With a burning coal burner at the side, a hot iron was being heated over. A marking of 'Ten' was apparent on the iron. A man was holding another, he was a new guy and wasn't accustomed to the work yet. His hand was trembling while he held onto the naked child in front of him.

He was staring into the child's eyes; he was scared of hurting him. It reminded him of his own child at home. So tender, so young and afraid.

The burly man grunted, stepped forward and took the burning hot iron from his underling and marked the child. The little child screamed out in agony while the boys looked in pain. His pain transmitted through the air to them.

The man continued with the rest of the children, giving out each, a marking, a price on their skin.

Branded like animals to be sold to those who were willing to pay.

It was a horrible sight and instantly the boys knew they were next.

However, the boy was no pushover.

"I am going to run away," said the boy to his friend, Ah Ke.

"No, we will get caught," he whispered in return.

"Then you stay here. I will not die here. I will fight for my own freedom."

"No, I will go too," Ah Ke whispered softly.

"Then when I say 'go', hit the man in the stomach as hard as you can. Then run across this yard. Reach the walls. Climb it and run."

"I will try."

"You cannot try. You must," insisted the boy. "Anyway, look pale, so they wouldn't suspect us."

The burly man was coming for them.

His steps were heavy.

Ah Ke started trembling.

The hot burning iron was in front of him.

While his shirt was pulled down by another.

The boy seeing how his friend was shaking and can't move, suddenly started jerking around.

"Oi! Don't let him move. I don't want to damage the goods. If this gets on the face, the price will be reduced," scolded the burly man at the man who was holding onto the boy.

"Sorry sir. I will get some rope."

"Go. I will heat up the iron again. Unlucky for you boys. It will be more painful once it heats up again," as he gave a heinous smile at them and with the glow from the lanterns. He was looking really sinister.